Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Please Help Me With Economic Curriculum

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:28 AM

I was thinking about teaching some of my students about basic economics.

I thought about starting off with money.

a) Defining Money.

any good definitions?  keep in mind, these are middle school kids.

b) Then I can talk about what has traditionally been used as money.  I assume, at this point, I will talk about silver and gold coins.

c) then talk about what happens if money supply is increased/decreased.  I can also get into supply/demand.  And perhaps talk about the hurricane sandy incident and talk about gasoline shortages and prices.  And maybe mention price fixing by government of gas in NYC.

d)....any ideas?  you have to build super slowly with kids.

[edit]

perhaps on c) I can also talk about what happens if there is no money, or money is used incorrectly.  And show pictures of bread lines in Soviet Union.  Or pictures of large amounts of waste...in communist country....

basically show that when price information is incorrect or non existant...too many or too little goods can be produced without correct price info.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

I hear Bob Muprhy's Lessons for the Young Economist is good for middle-schooler's. Some even suggest it could serve as a text-book. You could no doubt get some useful text and illustrations from the book (including a good definition of money and an explanation of where it comes from) to supplement your lessons.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:12 PM

I'd just go with mainstream micro. It's decent anyway.

The way I was taught was starting with the Production Possibilities Frontier and proving comparative advantage from trade.

Then we moved into supply and demand. Then go into price controls.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:15 PM

Some sexy devil over at the the Voluntaryist Reader just wrote something which might help you

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Again, with the "sexy." Ugh, what is it with that word?

And I made a "sexy" video two years ago.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

^^

Misplaced a bit?

Usually id start down with just basic crusoe economics for starters. Its simple enough.

Take the MES route.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:33 PM

Curse public decency in spirit of the response for which I truly wish to give!

It's just that when you reach a certain level of sexiness it needs to be restated every once and a while!

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Seeing as you always taunt your "sexiness" in a libertarian forum with mostly males involved, id say that you must experiment with your self in other ways.

Unless really libertarian males are the ones youre trying to target with this "sexiness".

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I just read your post three times and I still can't figure out what you're trying to do.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:44 PM

I'm also grateful I don't know what it means to "experiment with myself"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS