Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Statistics Showing Red Light Cameras Making Roads Less Safe?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, Oct 15 2010 2:15 PM

Are there any sources that show the statistics of how red light cameras made roads less safe?

thank you...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:50 AM

i don't know if that's free roads....

sound like they are still government controlled roads....just wihtout signs and lights...and government rule is cars must give way to people walking and bikes....

does not sound like free market roads....

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 825
weedface replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 4:15 PM

bump.... thought it was interesting

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 1:31 AM

Let's address the question of whether empiricism can be used to analyze the situation at all.

To me, it appears that other variables may be controlled accordingly to show that speed cameras have a positive or negative effect. You can first compare pre- and post- camera accidents when the cameras have been installed at different times in the year and you could possibly do matched pairs studies. To limit seasonal error, you might compare the distributions of accidents to those of previous years.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:58 PM

Why does red light cameras make roads less safe?  

If roads were free market, and the owner decided to use red light cameras to deter speeding through lights. would it be less safe?

Just because the government does it does not mean a bad idea.  It is wrong because it's government, but the idea itself has merit.  

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

From experience, I can tell you that whenever I have to worry about the legality of what I'm doing as opposed to the safety, I make less safe decisions. There are countless times on the road when the most safe decision in a given situation is illegal, and that's a huge problem.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 1,685
RagnarD replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:01 PM

I completely agree, with red light cameras specifically, if the light turns yellow, I slam on my brakes, regardless of the traffic behind me.  There's also one by my house where they ticketed me, not for not yielding before making a right on red, not for not stopping before a right on red, but for not stopping long enough before making a right on red.  I try to avoid the intersection now because if I do have to make a right there I end up almost getting rear ended every time because I wait too long trying to avoid another ticket.  I've also noticed the lights are timed to that there is never any oncoming traffic when the light is green without a left turn arrow (left only with arrow) in order to increase violators/revenue.

I've also many times wondered how much traffic accidents increase just beyond a speed trap, because of all the people paying attention to whether the cop is coming for them rather than the traffic ahead of them.

I do think that some method of punishing unsafe drivers is necessary, but I think we would likely all agree that 90% of the time (super scientific number i made up) a ticket isn't given for someone doing something unsafe, it's just to increase revenue.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 825
weedface replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:32 PM

Judge Napolitano: "Red Light Cameras Just a Gimmick to Raise Money for Government"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-dR5M7gHec

aww yea the judge strikes these bitches down

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS