Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Are Psychopath's capable of true action?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820
The Texas Trigger Posted: Thu, Jun 7 2012 11:25 AM

Not much else to ask...This question could be another extension on to my question of animal action. 

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

I imagine that they are since they are capable of logically weighing alternative means to achieve desired ends. I guess the question is: does a lack of conscience which removes any kind of human morals render one incapable of true action? This question could extend to psychotics such as schizophrenics as well.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

They are, it's just unsocial and destructive action when they are in "psychopath mode"...look at Stalin.  If you don't like it ou just have to learn how to  have the courage to stand up to it and/or plan to deal with it, recognize it, and prepare for it if it becomes overwhelming.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 12:01 PM

I imagine that they are since they are capable of logically weighing alternative means to achieve desired ends.

This.

I guess the question is: does a lack of conscience which removes any kind of human morals render one incapable of true action?

See No true Scotsman.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

gotlucky:
I imagine that they are since they are capable of logically weighing alternative means to achieve desired ends.

I think psychopaths are capable of logic, it's empathy that they lack, by definition.

So perhaps, they are the MOST logical, considering they don't have pesky emotions to cloud their judgement.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 12:55 PM

Jackson LaRose:

I think psychopaths are capable of logic, it's empathy that they lack, by definition.

I crossed off "logically" because it is superfluous to the Misean definition of action.  Whether or not someone is acting "logically" is a matter of opinion.

Jackson LaRose:

So perhaps, they are the MOST logical, considering they don't have pesky emotions to cloud their judgement.

Well psychopaths do have emotions, they just have a lack of sympathy and empathy and remorse regarding others.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800

Why wouldn't they be?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

gotlucky:
I crossed off "logically" because it is superfluous to the Misean definition of action.  Whether or not someone is acting "logically" is a matter of opinion.

Oh. My bad.

gotlucky:
Well psychopaths do have emotions, they just have a lack of sympathy and empathy and remorse regarding others.

Again, my bad.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

gotlucky:
I imagine that they are since they are capable of logically weighing alternative means to achieve desired ends.

Excuse me, I imagine that they are since they are capable of making decisions based in a rationality. And yes, they do have emotions, just not ones of remorse, sympathy, or empathy. Interestingly, they also do not understand feelings of inspiration, as can occur from hearing a piece of music or looking at a piece of art. This concept is totally foreign to them. Some have said this fact proves that Hitler was not actually a psychopath, despite his sexual promiscuity and sadism.   

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 11:07 PM

Excuse me, I imagine that they are since they are capable of making decisions based in a rationality.

Is there a way you can rephrase this?  I'm not entirely sure what are you are trying to say.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS