Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarianism and Animal Cruelty

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65
Corsair Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:29 AM

Consider the following, which I take to be in accordance with libertarian belief: Animals don’t have rights. Animals can therefore be property. People can dispose of their property as they see fit. What then is the libertarian answer to people being cruel to animals? Dog owners can, as far as I can see, set two dogs to fight to the death for amusement, and there is no libertarian response that I can think of. How could a libertarian (or the law) intervene (on the grounds of common decency, say) without violating the rights of the dog owners? Do readers have an answer?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

please use the search engine in the forum site to find threads pertaining to this topic.  there have been numerous threads on this run around.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:18 AM

Corsair:
Consider the following, which I take to be in accordance with libertarian belief: Animals don’t have rights.

Who or what has rights would be determined by what conception of rights people decide to support when there is no state.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:32 AM

Corsair:
What then is the libertarian answer to people being cruel to animals?

Exposing it to the public using video and audio recordings.  There would definitely be people willing to engage in vandalism of his property and he would have to fear these people.

Corsair:
How could a libertarian (or the law) intervene (on the grounds of common decency, say) without violating the rights of the dog owners?

There would be no standing for anyone to legally intervene.  Animals do not have rights.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Spideynw:

Corsair:

Exposing it to the public using video and audio recordings.  There would definitely be people willing to engage in vandalism of his property and he would have to fear these people.

The former (and other extra-juridical measures such as refusing to trade with this person) is a libertarian response. The latter is not, whether people may or may not do it.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:46 AM

E. R. Olovetto:

Spideynw:

Corsair:

The former (and other extra-juridical measures such as refusing to trade with this person) is a libertarian response. The latter is not, whether people may or may not do it.

Agreed, that people would not have a legal standing for committing vandalism.  But I am sure people would do it, since it is pretty easy to get away with.  The point I am making is that just because something is illegal, does not mean it will not happen.  Just like the doctor that was recently killed for performing abortions.  The fact that murder is illegal did not stop someone from killing him.  When someone gets involved in animal cruelty and abortions, that person needs to take into account the inherent risk that someone will take action against him/her regardless of what the law says.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

1. Animals do not have rights. The word humane pertains to human beings. That we don't torture animals has nothing to do with "animals rights" (because as I said they don't have any) rather it is because it would corrupt our morality, our humanness.
  2. I am really, REALLY tired of interlopers coming onto the scene pretending not only to be Libertarian but also pretending like there is any Libertarian principle pertaining to animals having rights other than being clear that they do not. Animals are and must remain property. Property is covered in the Fourth Amendment in the Bill of Rights. The Fourteenth Amendment applied the Bill of Rights to the states. No state nor federal government has any right to regulate animal ownership.
  3. One particular view from an actual Libertarian is included as a chapter on the Myth of Animal Rights in L. Neil Smith's latest book "Down With Power" available for reading for free online. Look it up.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 11:43 AM

Since when did we care about the Bill of Rights?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS