Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

White Privilege

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila Posted: Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:27 PM

I overcame this rising video on youtube and it got me thinking of what is considered "white privilege", mainly on how to define it and how to quantify and measure it scientifically to see if it exists. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watjO62NrVg

Anyone have any comments on the theory of "white privilege" and whether there is any truth to it? If so, how can you prove it? 

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 915
acft replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:37 PM

Well, one method of proving it would be to look at instances of 'colored disprivilages'. If someone colored or black was prevented from doing something someone white was allowed to do, the white person was privilaged in this instance. There are many instances of this throughout American history   as well as world history with examples being black codes, segregation, slavery, property laws, marriage laws, etc. In the case of world history look at British occupied India and other instances of Colonialism.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
Kmelfina replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 11:39 PM

If you would like to look up on "White Privelege", just go do a search on Tim Wise.

I don't necessarily believe in it despite the monologues my university does, since there doesn't seem to be a way to measure feelings of approval to individuals just for their 'white' skin color. Besides we have Affirmative Action, racial quotas for businesses to disprove acts of discrimination etc

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

I don't believe that it's nearly as big a problem as some people portray it to be.

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100
MadMiser replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 11:59 PM

If people of any other colour had embraced liberty, restrained the state and had an industrial revolution of their own, then they'd be free to privilege their own kind too. 'White privilege' is like 'exploitation‘: examining the factory worker and declaring him exploited by the owner, without any cognisance of the fact that the factory would not exist if not for the efforts of the owner.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 915
acft replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 11:29 AM

MadMiser wrote:

"If people of any other colour had embraced liberty, restrained the state and had an industrial revolution of their own, then they'd be free to privilege their own kind too. 'White privilege' is like 'exploitation‘: examining the factory worker and declaring him exploited by the owner, without any cognisance of the fact that the factory would not exist if not for the efforts of the owner."

You forgot the "white power!"

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 470

Look up or ask Ryan Faulk about white privilege. He pretty much destroys the theory.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS