Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Government overestimation

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection posted on Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:23 PM

Was wondering if anyone could give me examples within the past 75 years where a government overestimated the costs of something.

I'm sure it's happened, I was just curious of a specific example

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:26 PM

I was about to suggest The Big Dig, but then I reread your question and realized you weren't asking about underestimation.

I look forward to answers too!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:51 PM

I think I remember Karl Rove claiming Medicare D cost less than projected. Don't know if that was accurate.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:55 AM

In California recently they suggested the new high-speed rail would cost some $107 billion. Now that public opinion has turned against the project, suddenly they're saying it will only cost $58b. Weird, huh?

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I seriously doubt anyone would be able to come up with anything.  And even if one could, I guarantee it wouldn't be at all significant.  But there's just no need for the governnment to be that conservative.  They have nothing to gain and plenty to lose from overestimating.  And the opposite is basically true for underestimating.

I do recall the Hoover Dam was completed on budget and ahead of schedule though.  But of course, that was private companies.

Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840

I'm bumping this.  I would at least like to see something cited.

I couldnt find a clear answer on medicare D on the basic search I did for it.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS