Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mises Academy 50% off summer sale on courses

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 1:33 PM

Now, if they made it $10, I'd snap that up.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

But, if they put the whole bookstore on sale for 50% off, it'd be like a Steam sale, then I'd be all in. 

During the Holiday sales:

• 10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
  • 25% sale = 245% increase in sales
  • 50% sale = 320% increase in sales
  • 75% sale = 1470% increase in sales

Publications: $606k (2009),  $618k (2010)
Computer Networking: $174k (2009),  $262k (2010)
Repairs and Maintenence: $86k (2009),  $158k (2010)

Other than that there are no more itemized expenses common between the two years.  In 2009 we have:

Bank and investment fee: $70k
Academic research: $49k
All other expenses: $242k

and in 2010 those are replaced by:

Mises Academy: $148k
Fundraising: $114k
All other expenses: $369k

What academic research are they/were they funding?  Or is that just the title for the Academy?

The academy needs to get accreditation.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Aristophanes:
During the Holiday sales:

• 10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
  • 25% sale = 245% increase in sales
  • 50% sale = 320% increase in sales
  • 75% sale = 1470% increase in sales

...Kind of a "lose money on every sale, but make it up in volume" kind of thing?

You realize many of their titles are already incredibly low-priced as it is...

Aristophanes:
What academic research are they/were they funding?  Or is that just the title for the Academy?

No, don't forget they have a Mises University every summer.  They do sponsor young scholars and their research throughout the year.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Hmmm....I might try out for the University next year.

...Kind of a "lose money on every sale, but make it up in volume" kind of thing?

You realize many of their titles are already incredibly low-priced as it is...

Steam or Mises?

Steam prices vary as they are set by their respective developers (or publishers that have a deal with Valve).  So, you can never know just what the sales are going to be (except bundles...always bundles)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the 75% off sales are icing to the cake of the 10% sales.  10% steam sales would likely indicate a newer more popular AAA game, where a 75% off sale would indicate an older game that is no longer selling.  So, if you are asking $.25 for an old game it is just adding many many many purchases simply because it is novelty.  I think music , ebooks, and movies could benefit from this strategy.  Not produced books, however.

Mises does have some cheap books, but I would buy more of them if they were cheaper (clearance section ftw).  Library of America has offers of 'buy one get two free' if you subscribe.  And when you subscribe you can get as many or as few of their published works as you want past or future, so if that number just happens to be one or two...it really means you can just purchase their slipcase editions at will.  Not to mention the LvMI doesn't have true cloth binding all of the time.  It's a gamble on whether the book will stay together for a long time.  I see the difference in true cloth binding (the whole spine) from Liberty Fund vs the LvMI cheaper books.  Liberty fund also offers a 20% off coupon year round if you can find it. LvMI, as far as I know, just has the Mises bday sale (which I am sure is big for them).

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

For anyone interested, Jeff Tucker's new haunt, Laissez-Faire Books offers some pretty good deals as well.  (In fact, they just put out a new edition of Economics in One Lesson.  That write up there says it includes the Walter Block intro from the 2008 LvMI edition, but (according to Amazon) they also put out an edition that includes an editorial preface by Jeff Tucker, a new foreword by Bob Murphy, and Steve Forbes's foreword from the 50th Anniversary Edition (1996).

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jun 26 2012 5:41 AM

Jussayin'. Right now they're making $0 off of me. If it cost up to like $15, they'd be making multiple $15 off of me. Maybe if they try some price discrimination?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Again, "losing money on every sale, but making it up in volume" doesn't work.  And there is an upper limit to how many classes someone could/would buy.  It's not like a physical good that someone could just stock up on.  These are real time classes that you have to dedicate time to.  Even at a zero price people aren't going to be able to just buy up the course list and actually get full value out of it.

If you'd like to help out though...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 1:20 AM

Again, "losing money on every sale, but making it up in volume" doesn't work

Price elasticity of demand is a fictitious concept?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wheylous:
Again, "losing money on every sale, but making it up in volume" doesn't work
Price elasticity of demand is a fictitious concept?

a) How in the hell did you get that from what I said?

b) Please demonstrate how one can lose money on every sale, but somehow stay afloat by simply making more sales.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS