Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is wrong with people?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 217
Points 4,480
Seraiah Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:38 PM

Seriously, what the Hell?

About three weeks ago about 3/4ths of North Dakota voters voted to not repeal property taxes. Let that sink in for a moment.

Is this the way the world is right now? Less than 25% of people value freedom enough to literally get off their couch and vote their property back into their own hands?

I mean what kind of sick and depraved minds could say to themselves "Repeal property taxes... Ya, that seems like a totally bad idea to me because... *random throat noises*"

I don't even... I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

"...Bitcoin [may] already [be] the world's premiere currency, if we take ratio of exchange to commodity value as a measure of success ... because the better that ratio the more valuable purely as money that thing must be" -Anenome
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:58 PM

You can't fix stupid.  And even if you could, then you still have to deal with smart but wrong.  So get used to it, or go to Mars and find the alien terraforming machine, activate it, and live happily ever after.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800

Seraiah:
 I mean what kind of sick and depraved minds could say to themselves "Repeal property taxes... Ya, that seems like a totally bad idea to me because

"Property tax repeal -- Measure 2 -- was being defeated 78 percent to 22 percent. The margins remained roughly the same through the counting."

Is your hypothesis that 78 percent of North Dakotans are either sick and/or depraved?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110

It sounds like it should be an emphatic YES! REPEAL THE TAX! Doesnt it?

But the way they go about campaining for the tax is terrible. I not sure, but I think North Dakota has a similar system to us here in Ohio, where property taxes essentially become the funding for the public schools. After resisting a property tax increase in my city for over 15 years, they pulled out all of the stops.

They cut all sport programs, transportation, after and before hours programs, and cut the school day down by 2 hours per day for all grades. This was on top of the normal "Your children will have a terrible education if you dont support the increase!!" thing they always do. So between that, and making it just increasingly difficult for the parents, they got it passed.

So its not a matter of people being sick and depraved, its a matter of playing on emotions and making the alternative seem worse.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 217
Points 4,480
Seraiah replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:27 PM

Yes, that is exactly my hypothesis.

Literally 100,000+ people came out of the woodworks to fight to keep their property in the hands of their overlords. I've seen Twilight Zone episodes way less bizarre than this.

So its not a matter of people being sick and depraved, its a matter of playing on emotions and making the alternative seem worse.

I suppose that makes slightly more sense, but from what I understand North Dakota has huge surpluses in their budget from Oil revenue, and aren't nearly as tied to property taxes as other states are.
I even saw someone who opposed the repeal saying that he didn't want the repeal but that there was no reason financially that they couldn't do it.

"...Bitcoin [may] already [be] the world's premiere currency, if we take ratio of exchange to commodity value as a measure of success ... because the better that ratio the more valuable purely as money that thing must be" -Anenome
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:43 PM

It is hard to break the matrix or propaganda around the concept: "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.".

At least you are not alone.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS