Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What minarchists and marxists have in common

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 1,450
Dylan of Rivia Posted: Thu, May 10 2012 3:18 AM

I see a very big similarity between minarchist libertarians and communists (especially anarcho-communists):

a) Minarchists consider the state as a way of preserving “the rules of the game” that should prevail in a free market, i.e. freedom of contract, pacta sun servanda, punishment of fraud, and especially the preservation of private property

and,

b) communists (especially anarcho-communists) consider the state as a way higher classes have of exploiting the poor through the preservation of private property.

I know minarchists consider the preservation of private property as a good thing whereas communists consider it the root of all evil. However, both ideologies share a same underlying assumption: the state is necessary in order to maintain private property. As long as the state and a degree of private property coexist at the same time we must acknowledge that Marxists have a point (or at least we can’t prove them wrong) regarding their consideration of the state.

And this is when anarcho-capitalism comes to play by considering the state not the friend, but the natural enemy of private property. For me, the relevance of anarcho-capitalism is that if a society could exist for a long time without a state and with private property, improving the standards of being of all, including the poor, (as I believe it would) it would tear apart and make senseless those marxist statements. On the other hand, if a minarchist free market society existed for a long time, communists would still have a point (or at least they wouldn’t be proved wrong).

I know some might say that the difference between minarchism and anarcho-capitalism is not so big (all in all, one favours 95% freed markets and the other favours 100% freed markets), and although I somehow agree with that statement, it is also important to note that that small percentage is highly relevant when it comes to disproving Marxist ideologies.

It is not left versus right, it is social engineering versus spontaneous order.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 4,160
Fried Egg replied on Thu, May 10 2012 5:28 AM

Why single out minarchists and anarcho-communists?

Couldn't it be said that everyone except for anarcho-capitalists believe the state is necessary in order to maintain private property.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 1,450

Your're right, it could be said of any or almost any other ideology.

It is not left versus right, it is social engineering versus spontaneous order.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I'll say this... the arguments made by the far left that a state is necessary to help the poor are just as ridiculous as the notion that private property can only exist if an irrational agent violates your rights.  They have irrationality in common.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

They're both statists.

/thread

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS