Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mises Clubs/Reading Circles

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 185
Stan Posted: Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:34 PM

What are people's thoughts on starting local Mises Clubs/Reading Circle-type organizations to not only meet up with fellow Miseians, but to branch out of the Mises Institute to spread the word through local organizations?  Or, is this already happening?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I am interested in Mises dating.  I'm looking for my Margit.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145

Liberte? Are you still around? ;)

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:26 PM

There's meetup.com, where C4L and the LP have presences. You could make a meetup that not necessarily about political action.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Grassroots for Mises

Unfortunately, so far, horrible place to meet girls. ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

liberty student:

Everytime I hear something like this I'm reminded of the email exchange Walter Block shared with a former student whose girlfriend cried when he told her he didn't think people had a right to food.  He offered some time-earned insight on the plight of young libertarians:

...it is tough to be a young male libertarian. At most gatherings where they frequent, the male—female ratio is about ten or twenty to one. For example, at the recent Mises University (look at the picture; see how many women you can find), my estimate is that there were almost 200 students; about 15 or so of them were female. (Hint for young ladies: a word to the wise is sufficient.) Nor is this merely a modern problem for male libertarians. Things have always been this way; I can attest to this, at least from 1962, when I first became a libertarian.

What to do? Well...

I highly recommend reading the whole email.  That whole post is actually quite enlightening.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I would be interested in Austrian meet ups in London. I know meetup.com has an Austrian meet up in London but it only has a few members :| . I have been meaning to join it for a while. I think they do study groups etc.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 347
Points 6,365

Yes, being a libertarian unfortinately makes you a cruel hearthless chauvinistic arrogant bastard in the eyes of females some times. I've gotten into quite a few tuffles about wage discrimination and apparently my attitude towards the poor is "harsh", but the arguements never boil down to economic ones (because then I'd be right) but more about how I could even concieve of a world where females might have lower wages than males. I've think it doesn't help that economics in general doesn't seem like a major alot of females sign up for because they aren't interested (in my view).

Luckily though my birthday is coming up, and one of my friends jokingly ordered the Rothbard T shirt, so I should have teh babes swarming over me in no time :P

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:39 AM

Wait, how is that a joke? That's just a good present. No joking.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 1,135

Yes, being a libertarian unfortinately makes you a cruel hearthless chauvinistic arrogant bastard in the eyes of females some times.

@BlackNumero

That should work in your favor, women like jerks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:49 PM

BransonBow:
Yes, being a libertarian unfortinately makes you a cruel hearthless chauvinistic arrogant bastard in the eyes of females some times.

@BlackNumero

That should work in your favor, women like jerks.

Unfortunately, not the right kind of jerk.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Females are attracted to jerks arent they?

Thtas y in my school and all other schools, all the hot girls hang out with the bastards who treat them like shit.

Best dating advice:

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

The Professor?  Looks like someone just earned a few cool points.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS