Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Youtube's Copyright infringement policy

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes Posted: Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:14 PM

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/as-curiosity-touches-down-on-mars-video-is-taken-down-from-youtube/?comments=1#comments-bar

I know the video in question was footage that was in the public domain, but this topic applies to anybody using Youtube, as I'd be willing to bet a few on this forum have at some point seen their uploads and channels removed.

The average individual loading videos on Youtube basically has an guillotine dangling above their heads. All leverage is given to copyright holders, and in most cases the uploader has zero recourse if their channel is terminated.

In Kafkaesque fashion any users' years of video uploads and all channel information can simply be extirpated without any warning beforehand. You are essentially guilty until proven innocent according to Youtube's arbitrary standards of what constitutes infringement (see: big, popular channels and sponsors posting plenty of videos that have committed far 'worse' infringements remaining alive).

Now, as I understand it, Youtube is essentially allowed to remove any video for any reason and not have to give the uploader any notice. Is that their right? Are the contractual obligations on valid grounds? I'd say it is, but it bothers me how inconsistent they are at applying this rule and the ironic favoritism given to profitable channels.

Interested in some thoughts regarding Youtube/Google's policy. I am increasingly critical of IP laws, as they seem to merely result in a system dedicated to pure privilege and lobbying rather than defense of any actual property.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Its youtubes servers so you might expect they would retain rights to delete. Presumably people that can upload videos to the service can also backup those same videos elsewhere so that they aren't dependant on youtube to maintain the existance of any important data, but rather are just using youtube to share it with others. Its certainly good to warn people that disappearing videos are a risk, but isn't this also somewhat implicit just given the nature of data being deletable...

I'm very Anti-IP and it is sad when service providers have to bend to the State and make worse products for their customers.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 10:54 PM

a person can take the video down anytime for any reason, youtube can take it down  anytime for any reason

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS