Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Anarchy and Democracy in Family Guy

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Sun, Jul 29 2012 11:39 PM

Anyone else watch tonight's episode of Family Guy

Carter Pewterschmidt forms a tea party movement and succeeds in getting Quahog's government to disband. So, of course, you get the typical anarchy equals chaos bits; however, at the end, Peter comes up with an idea to end the chaos. That idea is democracy.

The intention of the episode must be to show that even the ancaps--for lack of a better word--eventually formed a democracy. But what's ironic is that the case for ancapism is actually made; that is, the town voluntarily formed a government.

Of course, the voluntary government was equated with statism and, so, the episode shows to the viewers that government is needed, as was intended. Only us would have seen the episode for it was and what it showed.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 12:01 AM

We've talked about this before. Here's the thread if you're interested:

Family Guy tackles anarchy

(keep in mind: this episode was intended to attack The Tea Party)

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS