Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Just a few questions

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905
fegeldolfy posted on Wed, Sep 5 2012 5:50 PM

Hi, I have a few questions.

1.I've read Peter Schiff's How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes and Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. Would you still recommend that I read Gene Callahan's Economics for Real People and Robert Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economist? If so, which one should I read first?

2.If anyone here has signed up for Tom Woods' Liberty Classroom, what's that like? Is it worth the $99 per year?

3.What's the best way to use the study guides Robert Murphy wrote for Human Action and Man,Economy, and State with Power and Market? Should I read them as I read the normal texts? Before? After?

4.What do you think of Howard Zinn, and more specifically, what do you think of the book, A People's History of the United States?

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

1) Murphy's book is extremely basic. It depends on how well you understand things like subjective theory of value, marginal utility, decreasing marginal utility, gains from trade, reasons for indirect exchange, etc. I personally learned all of those from random articles. I still plan on reading LftYE, though.

4) The general consensus here will be that much of Zinn's history is nor great but it's nice that he's anti-war. For example, his parts on monopoly and meatpacking are bad.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Holy crap great questions.  Welcome!  Be sure to check out The Ultimate Beginner meta-thread for a good collection of resources, the welcome thread for forum tips and how-tos.

1.) That's definitely a personal call.  Like Wheylous says, it all depends on how well you understand the basics concepts.

2.) Wish I had time to but haven't started it yet.  From what I can see just from the free stuff, I'd say it's gotta be worth it.  It's Tom's baby and he's definitely passionate about it...plus he's managed to bring in some heavy hitters to make up the faculty.

3.) That's definitely a personal call as well, but my recommendation would be as an introduction or epilogue to each chapter.  Read the study guide for that chapter, and then the chapter in the book...or vice versa.  If you think you can handle the chapter pretty good on its own, you might save the study guide part for after...as a recap for what you just read.  It can help you digest and retain the info.

Other people might find it more helpful to read the study guide chapter first, as it will help give you an idea of what you're about to be reading in detail, and give you sort of a heads-up for what you should be expecting to learn and things to keep in mind as you're reading the corresponding chapter in the book.  You might try it both ways...read chapter one in the book, and then the study guide for that chapter.  If you feel like it would have been more helpful to go through the guide before having read the chapter, try that for chapter 2.

4.)  Wheylous got that one too.  We had a few comments about Zinn here.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
285 Posts
Points 4,140

3.  Read MES or Human Action one chapter at a time.  While reading through a chapter, refer to the corresponding section in the study guide.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

he's managed to bring in some heavy hitters to make up the faculty.

Well, he's gonna have to compete with my FREE alternative. Come at me.

Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

Ok, thanks.

The reason I asked about Zinn is because I had to read the first 3 chapters of A People's History this summer for my AP US History Class. Also, I went over the syllabus for that class, and it seems like we'll be referring to Zinn as well as to the textbook on nearly everything, so I was wondering if there were any good books that serve as an argument against the statist bias of the textbooks, while at the same time not having any of Zinn's anticapitalist mentality.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

ya its a personal opinion, but i know i wouldnt read them if ive read hazlitt's economics in one lesson.  I read gene callahan's as one of my first books and really didnt like it.  Very simple and pretty boring.  I havent read murphy's so i really cant give a good opinion.

if you understand the two books youve read pretty easily id move on to a more in depth books.  Some of my first books after gene's that i enjoyed that were very informative, intelligent, and easy to understand were rothbard's "the case against the fed" and "making economic sense", and  ron pauls freedom under siege.

I also think throwing in a faction book was well worth it if you get bored, atlas shrugged, hazlitt's 'time will run back', and garet garrett's book are pretty good like 'the driver'.

but its honestly up to you.  ive tried to go back to some of the basic books because i still consider myself a beginner, and they are way to dull for me. 

2. n ot me

3.  ive wondered the same thing.  I personally learned more when i read the study guide through first. then read the book while reading the study guide again along with it.

4. no idea

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Just use your brains when reading Zinn and the textbooks. Come here for resources to elucidate unclear points. I can offer these two works of mine on specific topics:

http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Standard_Oil

http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Meat_packing

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

fegeldolfy:
I was wondering if there were any good books that serve as an argument against the statist bias of the textbooks, while at the same time not having any of Zinn's anticapitalist mentality.

You might check out some of the lists here.  Obviously the "history" section in particular.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS