Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Leftist economic dualism struck down

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:52 PM

I was reading up on predatory pricing when I found this small gem:

I find it curious that many people who insist that Microsoft purposely sacrifices profits today in hopes of earning higher, monopoly profits tomorrow also allege that modern American capitalism compels business leaders to maximize short-run profits at the expense of long-term growth

Quite nice! How can firms both engage in long-term price wars (sacrificing profit today) AND also only look at short-term profits instead of long-term (as many leftists claim)?

From this article:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/stop-stopping-price-cutting/

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:13 AM

Firms can not both engage in predatory pricing (Trying to gain market share to irmprove future earning by pricing low in the current time frame.) all the while maximizing short term profits (Trading future profits for current profits.) at the same time.  Of course this is not limited to the left.  Both right and left believe in more than a few of these oxymoronic concepts in economics like the "Broken Window Fallacy", "Loaning money to pay off current debts", "Government Investment", the basic principals of Keynesian Economics, etc.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS