Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Suppose You Live in North Korea

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest Posted: Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:24 PM

How would you set off liberating it from the current tyrants considering the extreme situation there?

Regardless of whether you would do such a thing or not, I was wandering if it was possible

Hard Mode: No Foreign Government Intervention

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Irregardless?

Hmm.  I might have to thinkify on that for a while.  If I take a few minutes and brainificate I might come up with something.  Whatever you'd do it would have to be some real snazzy piece of strategery, that's for sure.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:29 PM

ಠ_ಠ

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:30 PM

Lol, had to fix that.

English fail

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 7:14 PM

Anything is possible, but it is very difficult when you have the US, the world's only superpower, maintaining a sanctions regime against them obstructing their trade, using belligerent language against them ("Axis of Evil"), refusing to work toward a formal treaty that would finally end the Korean War, and maintaining 28,000 land-based troops just south of their border alongside the 7th Fleet with 50 ships and 350 combat aircraft.

Look how liberalization came to South Korea, when the big power they felt threatened by (China) signaled it was interested in trade and normalization of relations, and not military confrontation. Now South Korea and China are huge trading partners and there was even talk of a free-trade agreement.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 7:15 PM

Or if the answer is too much work in typing, are there any links to those who specialize in non-violent resistance to oppressive governments/laws and how they can be most effectively used?

Thanks in advance

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:04 PM

I personally wouldn't do it because it would be too costly to me, but if I had to then there are really only two ways of doing it on hard mode: Causing general rebellion or causing internal state strife that leads to the collapse of the state itself. The former is exceedingly difficult, the latter would be very difficult up until the point it was easy.

If large groups of people who are respected and valued in their various communities would oppose the state first privately and then openly, and then be killed, beaten, or dragged off in an open manner then it would be hard for public opinion not to turn sour. This might cause internal strife within the state, but the fact is that if there's a nation on earth whose public could be oppressed by its own military it would be North Korea. The second option would be to infiltrate the state itself, reach a high position, assassinate the leader, and try to blame it on others as an excuse for myself or someone whose ideas I supported taking power, or perhaps simply lead to a large civil war between various factions of the state which in turn allow the chance of greater liberty through less centralized control.

I suppose that there's also a chance of reaching a high position within the party and instigating an economic collapse, which might actually be easier on hard mode since you wouldn't have the f***ing rest of the world sending money to the country to help prop it up.

These solutions are really out there and I realize that, but the fact is that when there's a hyperactive military, no rule of law/human rights, and where the leader is worshipped as a god and the people are trained for absolute loyalty and given an enemy to fight (kids in the country are more or less taught that they should fight and kill all Americans after they try to invade their homeland) then you've reached about as close to 1984 as you can get, and when you do reach that stage, there is little hope for society.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:19 PM
Assuming your average nork wants to risk death to be liberated? Because if he did, I wouldnt have to do anything and if he didnt, then nothing would work. You have to bridge the gap, you need to give them ideology.

Edited to add: you only said "from the current tyrants" so I would buy off the general staff and charge the kim family with crimes against the korean people.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Did i grow up ther as a child, or did i immigrate there (very unlikely).

If i grew up there as a child, i wouldnt care since id be brainwashed to think that the western world is crappy, and that north korea is a good country.

If i was not brainwashed, just join their army, their slogan after all is Military first. Im sure youd get food water, etc, and the right to bear an arm.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 1:44 AM

For the purpose of this thread I'm assuming you are a native born and raised North Korean, and one day you suddenly come across some works on liberty that change you're perspective on everything.

From what I can gather from the responses, there is very very little that NK individuals can do to reform the system themselves. When the state is the official religion and there is a strict policy to worship it as such I guess there is little hope for that country in terms of inner reform. Of course, it doesn't help when the outside forces aren't very keen on lowering any sanctions.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100
MadMiser replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 4:30 AM

Become really good at swimming, maybe as part of the national team, swim away to South Korea or China.  Become stupendously rich. Buy WMDs on the black market, as well as UAVs capable of carrying them. Drop the WMDs on Pyongyang and all the military bases in Korea, killing most of the tyrants and soliders in the process. North Korean State collapses. QED

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 2,945

Here's an actual North Korean film about US propaganda.   Aside from the delicious irony, I find it myself agreeing with most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-p84oWW84

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:14 AM

^

Wow, that's awesome. And you're right, the irony is unparalleled.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:43 PM

You would be freeing brainwashed people.  A culture whete having an opinion is illegal is a difficult habit to break

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS