Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

In honor of Social Security's 77th birthday...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
421 Posts
Points 7,165
Phi est aureum posted on Tue, Aug 14 2012 9:01 PM

...I have been seeing a few things posted on the Internet about the program signed into law by F. Roosevelt. One neat little statistic I saw (from the Census Bureau) noted that between 1959 and 2011, poverty rates among Americans aged 65 and up fell from 35% to 9%. I was wondering if this was also a convenient statistic. That is, what did those rates look like prior to 1959? Prior to the Social Security Act? I googled for a few minutes and couldn't find the numbers (except the ones I just posted, repeatedly). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew what those numbers would be, and would care to discuss/interpret them here. 

<sarcasm>I mean, I know we are all in favor of entitlement programs and government force and taxation, especially because the government is so efficient and all, so why not celebrate one of America's crowning achievements in progressive policy that survives to this day from the era of the New Deal!</sarcasm>

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

There's a chart that shows the poverty rate over time. It decreases steadily until the Great Society Programs. Then it stagnates. Can't find it, though. Also, even if the chart looks amazing, I am not sure we can say correlation/causation.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
806 Posts
Points 12,855

I don't know about any chart that says as much, but this is exactly what Tom Woods says in his speech he'd deliver to all of America (I think you posted it in an LCT, Wheylous). 

That was what I was going to say, but Woods' comment is regarding poverty period, not poverty concerning those age 65 and up. I think Tom said the numbers were 95% at 1900 and 12% or 11% at the start of the Great Society (whereby the number stagnated). But, yeah, correlation/causation.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Ok, so there is this:

http://www.economicsjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/poverty-rate-historical1.png

But I don't like how it only shows a few years before the Great Society.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Also, this article brings up a good point:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/09/13/the-new-us-poverty-numbers-everyone-just-everyone-gets-this-wrong/

The type of government aid has changed from cash to others like food stamps and EITC which is not included in the income. Hence, we're not measuring the poverty which we are alleviating, so to speak. I'd like the revised numbers.

Top 200 Contributor
421 Posts
Points 7,165

Oh, I do completely agree that correlation does not equal causation. And I have listened to the lecture by Tom Woods where he speaks of poverty in general declining rapidly until stagnating after the Great Society programs really started getting funded. That's what I was wondering, essentially: do the full spectrum of statistics paint a different picture? Of course, if they do not, then, we still can understand that correlation does not equal causation. However, if the statistics indeed show a different implication, it would be very handy (at least for shutting down the pro-SS arguments about the poverty rates from 1959 to 2011.

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Even if the statistics are on our side I am not sure we can honestly cite them...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
421 Posts
Points 7,165

Why not?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Correlation/causation. Who knows? Maybe 13% is some "resting rate" of poverty at least for the moment. Could be due to Vietnam war, could be due to Fed policies, could be due to other regulations.

Top 200 Contributor
421 Posts
Points 7,165

Oh I see. Well I suppose I should point out that if the statistics were on our side, I would never cite them as evidence. The only purpose for me would be to turn the statist argument on its head, like:

statist: "From 1959 to 2011, poverty among senior citizens dropped from 35% to 9%. Social Security rules!!

libertarian: "And before that, the rate was [less than 35%]. So what?"

Of course, the statistics may not be on our side anyway, but I was just hoping someone knew where to find the numbers.

Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

OH and today is ALL Americans birthday of becoming Keynesians!  Happy b-day fiat currency!

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 500 Contributor
Male
317 Posts
Points 6,805

There is probably causation. If you steal money from workers and give money to non-workers, non-workers will likely have a lower poverty rate.

Not Ranked
Male
69 Posts
Points 1,600

Woods implied that he knows that correlation does not prove causation. His point (more broadly) was that the people in favour of this stuff were cherry pickers.

As he points out, if poverty had decreased while said subsidies were in place, and then increased or stagnated after they would have been removed, people would have been jumping all over this. When the exact opposite happens, nobody says anything.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS