Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I am preparing to debate George Klosko

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820
The Texas Trigger Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 4:12 AM

So, as the title says, I am about to debate George Klosko, professor of political theory at University of Virginia. He is a great guy. He is a smart guy. But, alas, he is wrong.

The topic is a tired one: Are states necessary? But, Klosko brings a rhetorically fresh, if not philosophically original, take on the question. He is also much more humble when it comes to answering this question; he does not believe he can provide a total knockout case for the state, just a good one after a preponderance of the evidence.

The main text to be debated is located in his book Political Obligations: Chapter Two - Bringing the State Back In.

You can find the full text of the chapter here at my 4 shared account (thanks to John James)

But before you read, here is my question: can any of you either answer or provide materials that can answer the following question:

I know this question (or one similar to it) will get brought up. Should someone pollute the water supply/the air/ etc. and this pollution moves onto your property/the air you breathe, how will you figure out who the pollution/contamination came from/How will you prosecute the polluter. 

Now, I know one defense is to point out the Nirvana fallacy in the belief that somehow the state has figured out how to do this either. But is there a more substantive answer than "you cant do it, so I don't have to provide a better solution."

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 4:55 AM

the book 1984 has some ideas

http://lewrockwell.com/orig6/molyneux1.html one article

http://walterblock.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/EconomicsandtheEnvironment.pdf one book

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 7:24 AM

This is a MUST read:

Environmentalism and Economic Freedom: The Case for Private Property Rights (chapter 3 from http://archive.mises.org/14654/building-blocks-for-liberty/ )

It's essentially a knockout case. It shows that private environmental lawsuits were the Modus Operandi in the early 19th century, but the government decided to further the "common good" by enabling polluters to be shielded from such lawsuits.
There is also that big tract by Rothbard, which JJ likely linked above.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 7:25 AM

As a side note, I read the title first as "Gabriel Kolko" and I'm like "Why would you debate him? Totally agree with him!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

I think the biggest case is the fact their are direct victims when someone pollutes without a state.  If we look at history some of the most heavily polluted areas are public/government owned property.  Without a state all property will be owned by individuals who have incredible incentive to stop/figure out who is doing the the pollution/contamination of their property.  The state doesnt have any incentive outside of stopping the nuisance of a few complaints.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:02 PM

I haven't read enough to be able to discuss COpollution (as there are no immediate and easily-measurable effects), but it seems like CO2 pollution is coupled with other, visible pollution, so ending the co-occurring pollution would end CO2 emissions.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

booo! on calling COpollution.  

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:42 PM

I'm no scientist, so I can't really critique AGW, although I have read interesting points against it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

im booing the notion that COis pollution.  Everyone should know that CO2 isnt a pollution.  Its part of our life blood! Animals breathe it out and plants 'breathe' it in.  Calling carbon dioxide a pollution is like calling water a pollutant.  That terminology is just environmentalist propaganda.  

Personally I dont believe that nonsense, but like you im not an expert though i have read significant amount on it some years ago.  (Dont want to hijack the thread so thats all i'll say)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 149
Points 2,855

I don't see anything wrong with labeling cardon dioxide introduced into the atmosphere through burning oil and coal pollution. 

What is pollution? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 4,050

It's okay if it doesn't go well, UVA is a crappy school anyway.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 149
Points 2,855

alsdjfalsdjfos:

It's okay if it doesn't go well, UVA is a crappy school anyway.

Not sure what that means. Looking at the guys cv he's pretty legit. By my count he has half a dozen Oxford Press books, four APSR's (the top journal in political science and phenominal for a theorist) and plenty of publications in top subfield journals. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 4,050

It's a public school, they don't even have a serious sports team to compensate. They're like division III football.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 149
Points 2,855

That's what I thought. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

alsdjfalsdjfos:
they don't even have a serious sports team to compensate. They're like division III football.

I hope this is a joke of some kind. If it is, good one. if not, who gives a shit?

As for Klosko, he is legit. I respect him for his humility (at least in rhetoric) and his down to Earth nature. I do not attend UVA, nor do I live in virginia. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

how and why did this debate come about?

GL btw.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 470

I THINK these issues may be discussed in Ryan Faulk's 'For An Emergent Governance'.  You can find that booklet on Scribd.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 2:46 PM

@The Texas Trigger

I don't know if this will help you, but Roderick Long has a speech/essay called Libertarian Anarchism: Responses to Ten Objections. It's worth the read even if it's not directly helpful. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Good luck with your debate!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 4,050

If you go to Columbia and end up teaching at a public school, there's something wrong. That's all I'm saying.

edit: I mean, UCLA or something might be fine, but UVA is the ivy of degree mills. Their undergraduate pass rate is like 90% for 1250 SATs.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:37 PM

Everyone should know that CO2 isnt a pollution.  Its part of our life blood! Animals breathe it out and plants 'breathe' it in.  Calling carbon dioxide a pollution is like calling water a pollutant.  That terminology is just environmentalist propaganda.  

If it does harm to other people's property and interferes with their use, then it is pollution. Just as tomatoes are not pollution, but if everyone dumps their tomatoes into the Mississippi you're gonna have pollution.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

While I cannot speak to any great detail about the programs of UVA vs UCLA, I will say the the students I have met from UVA vastly exceed the intelligence of those whom I have met from UCLA. UVA is a great school, as universities go, that it. I think they are all kind of rubbish anyway.

@GotLucky: Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 149
Points 2,855

alsdjfalsdjfos:

If you go to Columbia and end up teaching at a public school, there's something wrong. That's all I'm saying.

edit: I mean, UCLA or something might be fine, but UVA is the ivy of degree mills. Their undergraduate pass rate is like 90% for 1250 SATs.

Pretty sure you're trolling, but just in case you actually have no clue what you're talking about, UVA has a very respectable political science program and the man is an endowed chair. There's no way you can discredit his credentials by disrespecting the institution he works for. 

And UCLA might be fine? A top 10 program is just a 'might' huh? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 4,050

I've met people from both. Most were frat boys and there wasn't much to pick between.

Well, have fun with your debate, let me know how it goes.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS