Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Yakuza, Economic Criminals

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome Posted: Mon, Sep 3 2012 11:16 AM

Thought you guys might find this article fascinating, about an inside look at the Yakuza.

Here's a taste:

One of main sources of income they had was debt collection.  They would actually go and buy entire loan databases and pay off the money people owed.  Of course, after that happened, those debts were just transferred over to the yakuza. Also, after Fukushima [the nuclear disaster], they helped rebuild some houses; only it wasn’t a simple philanthropic relationship.  These people now owe the gang.

I was with the kaichou when he got a second tattoo.  The gang had just entered into an alliance with another family, so as a show of loyalty he had his original full-body tattoo burned off with hot coals and replaced with a new tattoo.  It took 100 hours to complete.  They called him “The Master of All Pains.”

Coming in, I thought I would be dealing with thugs.  While I was shielded from the violence, these yakuza still seem more like economic criminals. Life here is not a Kill Bill movie.  It turned out everything was more subtle.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 11:32 AM

Cool stuff. You did omit some of the negative stuff, but there appears to be some positives as well.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 2:42 PM

Why not identify what activities are prohibited by law from other folks performing that the Yakuza performs with a high degree of coersion and outright violence and then make these activities completely legal.  Then see how bad the Yakuza is?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS