Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

A question on Hoppe's explanation of the Austrian method

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705
Prashanth Perumal posted on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:57 AM

Hoppe says (Economic Science and the Austrian Method, pp 17): "Propositions are analytic whenever the means of formal logic are sufficient in order to find out whether they are true or not; otherwise propositions are synthetic ones. And propositions are a posteriori whenever observations are necessary in order to establish their truth or at least confirm them. If observations are not necessary then propositions are a priori.

The characteristic mark of Kantian philosophy is the claim that true a priori synthetic propositions exist-and it is because Mises subscribes to this claim that he can be called a Kantian. Synthetic a priori propositions are those whose truth-value can be definitely established, even though in order to do so the means of formal logic are not sufficient (while, of course, necessary) and observations are unnecessary."

First, I don't get why the classification as 'analytic & synthetic' on the one hand, and 'a priori and posteriori' on the other hand. I find analytic knowledge to be synonymous with a priori knowledge, and synthetic knowledge to be synonymous with posteriori knowledge. (You can see it in how Hoppe defines the terms--or may be Hoppe is just adopting the conventional distinction).

Secondly, and more importantly, I don't get how there could be anything called "synthetic a priori propositions'. Aren't the terms synthetic (knowledge gained through observation) and a priori (knowledge gained through logic) contradictory?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:54 AM
Analytic-requires only formal logic

synthetic-requires formal logic combined with something else

a priori-does not require observation

a posteriori-requires observation

the "something else" that isnt an "observation" is the undeniable proposition that humans act with purpose. Its not a posteriori because you can figure this out in your head from the living room, like all a priori knowledge, but it does combine formal logic and the human experience. You only know this proposition is undeniable because you are human.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
60 Posts
Points 840

Hoppe and wikipedia disagree, it seems.

According to wikipedia, either on Kant or on Critique of pure reason, the breakdown is like this:

Analytic: Info a good dictionary will tell you. An example: A bachelor is an unmarried man.

Synthetic: Anything more than the dictionary will tell you.

A posteriori: Something you can only learn from the outside world around you. Example: My dog has fleas.

Certainly, if a fact is a posteriori, it is synthetic. No dictionary will tell you that your dog has fleas. But are there any synthetic [=not in the dictionary] facts that we do not learn from the world of experience?

Kant said yes. He said that 5 plus 7 equals 12 is not in the dictionary for 5, or for 7, [or for twelve , or for plus, or for equals], so it's synthetic. You do not have to go out and count fleas on your dog to find this out, but can use your powers of logical thinking to deduce this, so it's a priori.

Since Kant, it seems, gave this example of 5 plus 7 equals twelve, then it looks like Hoppe missed the boat when he said anything deducible by logic is analytic.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I found the answer to my question here, and the same answer in a much simpler form here.

Posting the links just in case someone gets the same question in the future. Thanks again!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:01 PM

First, I don't get why the classification as 'analytic & synthetic' on the one hand, and 'a priori and posteriori' on the other hand. I find analytic knowledge to be synonymous with a priori knowledge, and synthetic knowledge to be synonymous with posteriori knowledge. (You can see it in how Hoppe defines the terms--or may be Hoppe is just adopting the conventional distinction).

This isn't "Hoppe's" explanation; it's basic epistemology. These categorizations have been around forever. The difference between a synthetic and an analytic proposition is that you can imagine the former not being true (individuals intentionally not acting in their self-interests), while the latter is true by definition (you cannot imagine, for example, existing in a timeless/spaceless dimension).

Your second question, though still poorly constructed, is the interesting one. Are synthetic a priori statements really a priori at all, or are they based on experience?

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
233 Posts
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:52 PM

@Robin Hood, Malachi: Wasn't Kant wrong on 5+7=12 being a synthetic a priori proposition? Isn't it formal? Wikipedia is telling me this is so:

"Thanks to Frege's logical semantics, particularly his concept of analyticity, arithmetic truths like "7+5=12" are no longer synthetic a priori but analytical a priori truths in Carnap's extended sense of "analytic". Hence logical empiricists are not subject to Kant's criticism of Hume for throwing out mathematics along with metaphysics"[3]

Are you saying you cannot use formal logic to deduce 5+7=12?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Sure you can use formal logic.

But it sounds like Hoppe and your Wikipedia quote moved the goalposts, redefining analytic to encompass what used to be synthetic.

See wikipedia on Kant.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Smiling Dave has it. I tend to agree with the modern interpretation, and consider arithmetic operations to be analytic a priori. Not that my opinion on this matter is worth much to anyone, ha
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS