Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Anybody know any Libertarianism stories, comics, etc

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 11
Points 385
striecx Posted: Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:27 AM

I was thinking it would be great to have a series of short stories that would help readers understand how certain scenarios would function in a libertarian or anarchocapitalist  society.

For example how ordinary civilians would use a Private Security or Insurance agency to retrieve stolen goods, etc.

Does anybody know where I can find some.

Maybe some artist can get inspired and use his skills and share, as a way to educate and entertain.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:41 AM

I recommend the Probability Broach.  The whole thing is a series of science fiction novels that take place on a liberterian society, and show how that society works.  It addresses the issue of security.  Just remember that any depiction is only a possibility for how it could work, like how each government example is only a possibility for how government could work.  The graphic novel is here: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

Also, there is how an economy grows and why it doesn't, it mostly explains the economic theory in layman's terms. freedom-school.com/money/how-an-economy-grows.pdf

Other forum members would probably be able to point out better examples.  If you are looking for how the issue of security and insurance would be addressed, I recommend Robert Murphy's chaos theory.  http://library.mises.org/books/Robert%20P%20Murphy/Chaos%20Theory.pdf

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:46 AM

How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn't (by Irwin Schiff)

&

http://www.reddit.com/r/libertariancomics/

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:10 AM

From Freedman's list at the end of the Machinery:

Poul Anderson, 'No Truce with Kings', in Time and Stars (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1964). A libertarian novelette
that plays fair. The bad guys are good guys too. But wrong. You are halfway through the story before you realize
which side the author is on.
Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (New York: Putnam, 1966). Most of his books contain interesting
ideas. This one is set in a plausible anarcho-capitalist society; it was one of the sources from which my ideas on the
subject developed. A discussion of all the good things about this book would require a long article; some day I may
write it.
C. M. Kornbluth, The Syndic (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1955). A book about an attractive libertarian society (run
by organized crime) caught in the stability problem. It is threatened by external enemies and apparently doomed to
eventual collapse; any energetic attempt to defend it will make it no longer worth defending.
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, Oath of Fealty. (New York: Pocket Books, 1981). Both the authors of this book have
some libertarian sympathies; neither is an orthodox libertarian. It is set in the near future and centers around a privately
owned arcology—a building the size of a small city, providing its own 'governmental' services to residents. A central
point of the book, and one which should be of interest to anarcho-capitalists, is that people protected by a private
organization instead of a government will feel for that private organization the same sort of loyalty and patriotism that
people now feel for their nation. The arcology is 'us', the government of the city of Los Angeles, where it is located, is
'them'.
Niven and Pournelle have jointly written several other good books that have nothing much to do with libertarianism; I
particularly recommend The Mote in God's Eye and Inferno. 'Cloak of Anarchy', in Niven's collection Tales of Known
Space (New York: Ballantine, 1975), is an anti-anarchist story that libertarian anarchists should read and think about.
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged (New York: Random House, 1957). The Fountainhead (Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1943).
Anthem, rev. ed., (Los Angeles: Pamphleteers, 1946). Rand's novels upset some people because the heroes are all
handsome and the villains nauseating, with names to match. She did it on purpose; she did not believe art should be
realistic and wrote The Romantic Manifesto (New York: World Publishing, 1969) to prove it. When someone told her
that her work was not in the mainstream of American literature, she is supposed to have replied that "the mainstream
of American literature is a stagnant swamp." She has a point.
Eric Frank Russell, The Great Explosion (New York: Dodd, Mead, 1962). Bureaucrats from Earth are Putting The
Universe Back Together. One of their failures involves an intriguing anarcho-pacifist society. This story may have
originated MYOB (for 'Mind Your Own Business').
J. Neil Schulman, Alongside Night (New York: Avon, 1987), The
Rainbow Cadenza (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1983). Two explicitly libertarian novels. The first describes a
libertarian revolt in the near future, the second a society with a male-to-female ratio of ten to one where women are
drafted into a prostitution corps.
L. Neil Smith, The Probability Broach (New York: Ballantine, 1980), The Venus Belt (New York: Ballantine, 1980)
and lots more that I have not yet read. His books are sometimes fun; my main reservation is that the good guys are too
obviously in the right and win too easily.
Vernor Vinge, True Names (New York: Bluejay, 1984), The Peace War (New York: Bluejay, 1984; Ultramarine,
1984), Marooned in Realtime (New York: Bluejay, 1986; Baen, 1987). These are science fiction novels by a libertarian
with interesting ideas. The historical background for the last of the three, which is set in the very far future, includes an
anarcho-capitalist society along the general lines described in Part III of this book.
The story The Ungoverned', included in the book True Names and Other Dangers (New York: Baen, 1987), is set after
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:50 AM

I'm writing a novelette right now that I hope to become first in a series, which is set in a libertarian seastead :) It's a nod to Sherlock Holmes, with my Sherlock-analogue character running his own private security agency and solving various technological crimes and mysteries as they come.

I'll let you guys know when it's available and done and all that.

It's been a great help actually to write such a story, as it forces me to figure out how the philosophy would play out in concretes. At least my own specific implementation of the structures of a free society, autarchy. Which then drives me back to study more theory, which then improves the story, etc., etc.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:25 AM

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress - it's a sci-fi novel about a libertarian revolution on the moon. I highly recommend this.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS