Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Book of Judges - Example of No Government, Just Judges

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:02 AM

In the Bible, Israel had no government for 400 years.  They just had judges.  Some of the people eventually wanted a government, a King. 

God basically says, THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

"The elders of the tribes come to Samuel and request a king. Their reason is that Samuel is too old and his sons are corrupt (vs. 4,5). This displeased both Samuel and the Lord (vs. 6-8)."

God's government basically, means, he gave everyone a set of rules to live by.  Rules like don't steal.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Well, the idea was that they would be directly led by God, not a man. But the people desired a man to lead them. Eventually, God did anoint a king in Saul.

When Moses first began to lead, they ultimately had to divide the responsibilities because it was overwhelming for one person. I think he had 75,000 people assisting in the judicial and administrative dealings of the people.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:32 AM

I know of a world of just judges, and there's one judge called Dredd you didn't want to mess with, so yeah...

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yeah, that guy really doesn't go by any Rothbardian legal system.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:21 AM

"Well, the idea was that they would be directly led by God, not a man."

i don;t think God was down there all the time hanging out.  I think he just gave them the commandments to live by.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS