Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Privatizing Education

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 290
FlameOfRevolution posted on Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:54 PM

Should America privatize its education system?

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030
Verified by FlameOfRevolution

"Can you explain the statement "some people implicitly 'need' to be 'schooled'"?  I am interpreting it in a variety of contradictory ways and could use clarification."

I might be repeating myself here, but oh well.

I probably didn't w ord that statement clearly enough.  I meant to say that when schools and public schooling are brought up, some people think that there are things kids "need" to be taught at school, or the parent needs to be the "teacher" in order for them to learn this.  Some people even think that having the parent be a "teacher" could lead to disaster.  This argument is used to make the case for public schooling; if parents need to send their kids to school, why not make schooling compulsory and provide subsidized schools?  Even if it is better if everyone went to a formal school, liberterians can make the case that public schools should be abolished, as it would make schools   While parents putting their kids in school, whether they like it or not, is compatible with a liberterian society, I have a personal opinon of the practice.   I disagree with the idea that there are things that kids "need" to be taught at school, as learning is effective when people use schooling as a means to explore things that interest them.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Yes.

Education  Schooling should be like any good that you buy.

Schooling is education but education is not entirely schooling. One can self study, or get an internship, it all depends on the individual's preferences. Privatization will lead to greater choices, and free market competition will lower prices while driving up quality.

What about the poor? (See my signature)

See video:

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 290

But if education is privatized, how will the poor afford it? Schooling has recently deteriorated quite significantly. The point of private education is to provide better quality schooling. How will the poor afford it? i.e Compton

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

THe video posted above.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 290

there is no video posted

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv4nBoXoZc

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 290

i dont have flash player... Wanna summarize for me?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Poor get education under a free market system.

Thats the summary.
Watch the video when you get home and install flash player.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
444 Posts
Points 6,230

I like Walter Block's famous saying:

"If it moves, privatize it, if it doesn't move, privatize it.  Since everything either moves or doesn't move, that means everything should be privatized!"

Here is a little interview with Bob Murphy on the topic.

The Economics and Politics of Education: An Interview with Robert Murphy:

https://mises.org/media/1437/The-Economics-and-Politics-of-Education-An-Interview-with-Robert-Murphy

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

In our day there are more ways for the poor to recieve education under a free market system than ever before. Ways that the poor could pay for education:

1. Free material online and in libraries

2. Cheap material which they can by on and offline

3. Non-profit educators, either institutional or independent teacher/tutors who will either work for free or at a reduced price

4. Parents pay for schooling

5. Child takes out a loan to pay for school or pays for it from money from his job or he is paid by expectant future employers.

6. Child is sponsored through things like scholarships or community organizations which pool money

7. Child/Adult is taught on the job

On a free market there are any number of ways people can be educated, and a large group of people who want to ensure that they will be educated. People like you who are concerned that there may not be a functional educational system for the poor will play an essential part in ensuring that there is one.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Thus I give support for my signature

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Here's the scoop on education:

http://candlemind.com/projects/progclub/file/michael/getEducated.php?listID=9

Essentially, education was fine before the state came along and in poor countries private schools are ceteris paribus better than public schools... for the poor! Also, private schools in the US cost twice as much as public schools. The more I read about free market education the more convinced I am that it is the only way to substantially improve education. Over the last 30 years real per-student spending has doubled with nothing to show. Government is not solution. It is the problem.

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

@ Kelvin Silva

Just noticed your sig. I have to contact my former Math teacher and say that to her. (MAJOR left-winger)

Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030

The problem in the discussion is that some people implicitly "need" to be "schooled".  However, having a formalized education system isn't vital for everyone like people think it is.  If chosen by the kid, they are really just tools, ways to explore/learn about something they want to learn about.  However, I think that some schools are there for the parents, because they are afraid that their kid won't know certain things/behave a certain way unless he is taught at this institution, or because the parent wants some time without the kid, sort of like daycare.     Anyways, a ban on government schools is a good idea, because it forces parents to pay the cost instead of forcing others to pay for schools that they don't want to pay for.  It will also help to prevent government from defining what schools should be, giving people the opportunity to experiment with other ideas for learning services, and choose whatever suits them.

There are also some good mises articles on the subject.

Schools are labour camps.

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 655

Can you explain the statement "some people implicitly 'need' to be 'schooled'"?  I am interpreting it in a variety of contradictory ways and could use clarification.

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS