Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Academic Degree in the Philosophy of Economics? Is it worth it?

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Sarah Kotyk Posted: Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:21 AM

Hello ,

Here's my problem: 

Since I want to become an individual investor. I'm seeking out the non-typical path which is through formal study in educational institutions. This is to prepare me with more knowledge than one without formal study would have - in other words arming me to the teeth. I know that one doesn't need any formal qualifications to become an individual investor but I perfer to be "armed" before I enter my designation. 

In terms of formal study , I was thinking of a degree in the philosophy of economics because there are so many problems with mainstream economics that learning it would be a disadvantage. 

The philosophy of economics seems to be a good choice because of the very fact that it is an uncommon route that is relevant to the subject (hence one may appeal to employers because one is uncommon/rare). It shows that you are a deep thinker as philosophy involves questions to think about which can be "deep" in nature. Also , philosophy itself helps one to be enlightened about deep questions on things. Though not necessarily solving such matters most of the time , much of the time it still provides hints on which action to take (as knowledge increases about the question , that is). Thus is could provide guidance on what actions to take when one is attempting to gain from the markets. 

I still have doubt though , alot of doubt. 

That's why I have a set of questions I would like to ask to those who may know if this is the right action to take:

-do you feel as if you have a general sense of direction in terms of what to do to take advantage of the markets after you have studied the philosophy of economics?

-Do you regret studying the philosophy of economics? If so what would you have studied instead? 

-What skills have you acquired after completing it?

-What other knowledge do you have that would be important for me to acknowledge in my context?

Thank's for reading. I hope you help me resolve this dilemmia. 
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:51 AM
Its a very personal decision, I wont argue against formal education but you should probably start investing small or hypothetical amounts now.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS