Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Quoting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
519 Posts
Points 9,645
jmorris84 posted on Wed, Oct 3 2012 7:47 AM

Why does clicking this link in a reply not work? I think this message board might be the only one that I've ever been on that simply doesn't work the way that it should. What gives?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It is a new feature and definitely not a bug.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
519 Posts
Points 9,645

It's not a new feature. This forum has looked and behaved exactly the same way as the very first day that I became a member. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610

You can bookmark this bookmarklet to make the quote feature work:

javascript:(function()%20{window.location=window.location.toString().replace('Quote=False','Quote=True');})();

All it does is change the last part of the URL from false to true, and then the quote function works. You can do it by hand or do it with this bookmarklet.

To use the bookmarkelt, first hit the quote button and let the page load. then hit the bookmarklet and it will load again with the quote in place.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
444 Posts
Points 6,230

jmorris84:

Why does clicking this link in a reply not work? I think this message board might be the only one that I've ever been on that simply doesn't work the way that it should. What gives?

That functionality was broken a long time ago, it occured due to some incompatibilities between the forum software/upgrades to the rest of the site.

I assume you never read the New Member topic?

https://mises.org/Community/forums/t/23624.aspx

What I personally do is every time I click on a reply, in the address bar you will see "&Quote=False", I just change it to "&Quote=True".

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
519 Posts
Points 9,645

I'm really confused as to why this site just doesn't switch to a message board software that actually works.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

hello?

Must use brackets

[.quote] stuff here [./quote] (without the the dots)

not sur eif works or just trolling

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 200 Contributor
Male
444 Posts
Points 6,230

jmorris84:

I'm really confused as to why this site just doesn't switch to a message board software that actually works.

The older version of the forum software BEFORE quotes got broken, was very unstable/slow and crashed the server VERY often.  The upgrade to this version made it much  faster and stable, but broke the automatic quoting system, and a few other things.  This broken forum is a HUGE improvement to how it was back then crashing all the time.

There was a push by the Institute for new forums in early-mid 2011.  It failed miserably.

There was all sorts of discussion/input/complaints throughout last year.  Here is a topic that I quickly found. Israel Curtis mentioned some of the reasons for not moving to the more popular forum softwares:

https://mises.org/Community/forums/t/24080.aspx

The Mises Institute most likely puts the forums at the very low of the totem pole due to monetary constraints.

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS