Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What's the difference between a realist and a pragmatist?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680
liberation posted on Tue, Oct 23 2012 6:02 AM

I read in an article. But can't comprehend it even with the dictionary. Could you help?

www.stratfor.com/analysis/love-ones-own-and-importance-place www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100503_global_crisis_legitimacy www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KKN_jltI8 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQX3MybtVA batgap.com/ilona-ciunaite-elena-nezhinsky/
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Points 6,740
Suggested by ahall12

A realist sees things the way they are.

A pragmatist assumes how things are is the way they'll always be.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,051 Posts
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 6:48 AM

To understand what the difference between the subscribers are you need to know the difference in philosophies.

My understanding of pragmatism comes from William James' The Varieties of Religious Experience and he further expands in Essays in Radical Empiricism (have this but not read it yet).  This is where theory arises from practice and is put back at the practice itself (this works, why does it work? apply answer back to practice).  Though I only know of pragmatism in the field of religion

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Both those terms, realist and pragmatist, are meant as praise, implying anyone who disagrees with the pragmatic realist is living in a fantasy world.

One might say the difference is akin to the difference between pure and applied math.

The term realist is used when talking about understanding the world, the realist being smart and the idealist being stupid.

Pragmatist is used when talking about the proper actions to be taken, the pragmatist interested in getting the job done, the idealist in unproductive insistence on principle.

Thus the realist knows tyrants are evil, the idealist thinks they are basically good guys with some fixable eccentricities.

The pragmatist will cut a deal with a tyrant to get some advantage, the idealist never would, because it is morally repugnant.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680

Thanks!

I kind of get it like 50-50. No problem.

www.stratfor.com/analysis/love-ones-own-and-importance-place www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100503_global_crisis_legitimacy www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KKN_jltI8 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQX3MybtVA batgap.com/ilona-ciunaite-elena-nezhinsky/
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS