Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Devils advocate on the free market

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030
eliotn posted on Wed, Sep 10 2008 9:40 PM

Lets play devils advocate on this form.  In what way can the free market be bad?  (This suggestion was at the urging of my teacher.)

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Currently overpaid academics cannot earn vast salaries for services no one wants. That'd be "bad" in your teacher's estimation, at least.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
849 Posts
Points 18,905
JCFolsom replied on Thu, Sep 11 2008 12:04 AM

Well, the system we have today is quite far from a free market, so those institutions which have grown large and powerful today would stand to lose the most by the institution of a free market. Credit would be much harder to obtain. Without socialized roads, the current prevailing model of enormous, distant production would become cost-prohibitive. Common and well-known brands would also likely decrease or disappear because of the greater distribution of production, so advertising and therefore the current model of television and many other currently "free" services would become far more local or disappear as well. Stability overall would be decreased. More jobs would be created, since entrepeneurs would be freer to start up their businesses, but more would be lost because no one would be bailed out at the expense of taxpayers. Lack of socialized law enforcement would likely lead to people being generally more cautious and well-armed, and the ancient institution of the duel might rear its head once more. If you had neither insurance nor money, you would be utterly dependent on generosity for your health care, since hospitals would not be compelled to help you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
1,879 Posts
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Thu, Sep 11 2008 12:29 AM

Is not giving people a false sense of security a flaw?

Peace

Top 500 Contributor
142 Posts
Points 1,760
Mlee replied on Thu, Sep 11 2008 11:58 AM

A free market as upposed to what, bad is relative. You have to have an alternative system where the problem no longer exists. Problems can exist within a free market framework, but the market itself, probably doesn't cause any "problems" in the sense that they require "solving" by a state. Voluntary communism can exist within said framework, as can various other forms of social organization that can deal with alledged problems.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
51 Posts
Points 1,310
Lee replied on Thu, Sep 11 2008 12:27 PM

Just curious. What exactly would happen right now if the government decided that it no longer wanted to intervene in the market? Obviously we would be in a world of hurt, but how long would this last? 5-10 years?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 9,180

The Marxists claim that unequal distribution of resources is itself a 'market failure' - and obviously a bad.

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
142 Posts
Points 1,760
Mlee replied on Thu, Sep 11 2008 3:42 PM

What basis is there for this? Why is economic inequality a negitive?

MatthewWilliam:

The Marxists claim that unequal distribution of resources is itself a 'market failure' - and obviously a bad.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,056 Posts
Points 78,245

Mlee:

What basis is there for this? Why is economic inequality a negitive?

MatthewWilliam:

From my own perspective, "inequality" in and of itself is not negative. Rather, what's negative is poverty, stagnation, low time preferance and a shitty environment in general (the bulk of which is an effect of state intervention). So the typical lefty emphasis on "equality" itself in the economic sense seems misplaced to me.

Top 75 Contributor
1,239 Posts
Points 29,060

Jon Irenicus:

Currently overpaid academics cannot earn vast salaries for services no one wants. That'd be "bad" in your teacher's estimation, at least.

-Jon

I am pretty sure we disagree on just about everything, but that was a very funny comment and I highly recommend the young student use that as an example..

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Well if Marxoids want to argue that they need to provide a criterion of success for the market that somehow entails an "equal" distribution of material goods, and then justify why it should be taken seriously. Ethical arguments will not suffice.

Thank you ML.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 150 Contributor
768 Posts
Points 12,035

eliotn:
In what way can the free market be bad?

There are two ways it can be 'bad.'

1. Each individual or set of individuals which make flawed or incorrect market decisions *will* fail. 

<reality-check> Okay, now of course, this isn't as 'bad' as it is as 'good' respect to the containment of flawed or incorrect market decisions. Basically, if Bob and Joe make a mistake, only Bob and Joe will fail. Not Jane and Dan. Today, each person in the market is either explicitly or implicitly tied to one and other by governmental safety nets and the fiat currency (and fractional reserve banking) systems. Which is why you see the talking heads on the idiot box claim that big corporations like Bear-Stearns and the Duopolopy of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are too big to fail as their debts in one way or another are our debts.</reality-check>

2. All future wealth generated must be generated by existing wealth.

<reality-check> This one is a problem that I get thrown in my face because many folks cannot imagine that no one could go out on a limb and invest unless there was some measure of 'credit' or a fiat currency (or even a safety net) to shield or reduce the so-called impact of failure in the market. But what such folks fail to realize is that even in our broken marketplace wealth is still the foundation for which any other form of wealth is produced. Whether we're talking about investment returns getting reinvested in other ventures, or the simple fact that something has to be made from something else (restaurants buying food products that were once raw plant crops and cattle/animal herds, which in turn they sell as finished meals).</reality-check>

So, really, the two possible 'bad' sides to a free market seem rather good, so I can't say there's any substance to any argument against it.

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 500 Contributor
Male
239 Posts
Points 4,590
Andrew replied on Thu, Sep 11 2008 6:32 PM

I would say the degrading effects of consumer culture and constant advertising.

Democracy is nothing more than replacing bullets with ballots

If Pro is the opposite of Con. What is the opposite of Progress?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
867 Posts
Points 17,790

Andrew:

I would say the degrading effects of consumer culture and constant advertising.

But isn't "consumer culture" a direct result of high time preference which, in turn, is caused by moral hazards created by government, such as high taxes, welfare schemes etc.?

Top 50 Contributor
1,879 Posts
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Fri, Sep 12 2008 12:50 AM

eliotn:

Lets play devils advocate on this form.  In what way can the free market be bad?  (This suggestion was at the urging of my teacher.)

Since value is subjective what is thought to be a good to someone might be bad to another. The debate of what is good and what is bad is completely removed from economics, which is a value free science concerned with human action.

Of course, when governments, or any other group of people with guns, prevent people from acting according to their values I find that to be immoral.

Peace

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS