Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Goods and Austrian bads

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
372 Posts
Points 8,230
Buzz Killington posted on Wed, Oct 31 2012 7:02 PM

Austrian economics claims that everyone values more of a good than less. However, I don't see how this can be universally true.

For example, let's say that I have the choice between having my dog fetch me 2 dead cats to eat, and 5 dead cats to eat. I like to eat dead cats (for whatever reason), so it's a good to me.

According to Austrian econ I should prefer having 5 dead cats, but IRL I have a different view: I'm trying to lose weight, therefore I don't want to be tempted with too many dead cats - therefore, Austrianism's axiom is incorrect.

"Nutty as squirrel shit."

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

so its not that you dont want 5 cats its that you want to lose weight more than 5 dead cats.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
372 Posts
Points 8,230

so its not that you dont want 5 cats its that you want to lose weight more than 5 dead cats.

ya that proves not everyone wants more of a good

Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

No. I was implying that you still want it just not at the cost of gaining weight.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Austrian economics claims that everyone values more of a good than less.
no. People actually want goods less and less as they gain more of them, all else being equal.
According to Austrian econ I should prefer having 5 dead cats, but IRL I have a different view: I'm trying to lose weight, therefore I don't want to be tempted with too many dead cats - therefore, Austrianism's axiom is incorrect.
each cat is less valuable, decreasing marginal utility. So at some point the utility of another dead cat is less than the utility of decreasing your consumption by one dead cat, and so you prefer to dont eat, and there you go. Google "marginal utility"
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 200 Contributor
372 Posts
Points 8,230

@Malachi: Democracy: The God That Failed says that it is an inalienable law of economics that you prefer more of a good than less of a good.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
I'm sure theres context to that statement, specifically, though not exclusively, ceteris paribus. If there isnt, then he is wrong, and there should be. For example, no one, austrian or not says that because I like/want one egg, and I like/want a dozen eggs more than I like one egg, I must like/want more eggs than I can possibly eat before they spoiled. Eggs are perishable. Did you search on "marginal utility"? Its on these forums too
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

BK,

No matter who is postulating that viewpoint they are wrong. Every good is based upon the usefulness of its marginal increment. 1 gallon of water is valuable to me, 100,000,000 gallons is a nuisance to say the least. 

Two dead cats might be good, but then anything more than that might be bad exactly because the service rendered from those extra three cats will probably be a disservice if I cave and eat them... Cat goes straight to your thighs. Therefore three of the five cats will be seen as  bads, not goods. I recommend Mises' remarks on marginalism in Human Action

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

(correct me if im wrong)

you are still going to want the dead cats and unlimited amount of them until the cost of collecting/storing the dead cats is more than there value or the cost it takes to throw a rotting cat away (time and labor).  

why would you turn a dead cat away?  pop it in the freezer.  SELL IT.  The only reason to not want a dead cat is because you are valuing your future time and labor more on the probability of having to throw a dead cat away and or the value of other goods you can store in its place. 

This business only cost your dog time.  you will want as many cats as possible.  

Top 200 Contributor
372 Posts
Points 8,230

Ah I get it now, I probably misread it, the conclusions are ridiculous (e.g. a drug addict, according to it I should prefer an infinite amount of drugs but that would cause me to OD).

not that im a drug addict

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Law of diminishing marginal utility.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:20 PM

No one accused you of being a drug addict, just that you eat cats. NBD.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS