Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

WWII Blockade of Britain, Rationing, Agriculture, etc.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
2 Posts
Points 40
Mike Ruff posted on Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:22 AM

So I've been watching a documentary series called "Wartime Farm" from the BBC.  It's quite enjoyable (as were the previous ones: Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, etc).

Wartime Farm of course deals constantly with the rationing, the regulations and such imposed by the central agricultural planners in London, etc.

Are there any good sources on the period from the Austrian perspective?  Mark Thornton of course has some good work on the Economics of the War Between the States, which gives us some analysis of the effects of blockades and central government planning.  

It seems like there ought to be some work specifically on the UK during WWII--does anyone know of any good articles or books?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

The whole point of wartime rationing is to limit the supply of certain things to the non-military part of the polity. If the government just starts placing huge orders for those things (at least compared to peacetime), the prices of those things will rise (ceteris paribus) because the effective demand has risen and further because the effective supply may not be able to keep up. Also, from what I understand, rationing is typically not done without price controls.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 4:27 PM

A little tangential to what you're asking for but its all I can do to try to help: Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II

It tells the story of the Bengal Famine of 1942/43 in British India. But I also learned things about Britain proper reading it, like for example that the British government actually built up a giant stockpile of food on the Home Isles during the war intended for post-war consumption.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS