Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Pat Tillman

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
256 Posts
Points 5,630
Al_Gore the Idiot posted on Tue, Nov 6 2012 3:38 PM

Ex-NFL player and war veteran, Pat Tillman would be 36 today. As many of you already know, Tillman was likely deliberately killed by his own men back in 2004. I have a question. Did Pat Tillman truly believe in fighting the "War Against Terror" when he enlisted? Or did Tillman believe the war was illegitamate all along? Tillman was supposed to have met with Noam Chomsky upon returning home.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,037 Posts
Points 17,975

I thought the whole point was that he quit the Arizona Cardinals football team in order to go and fight.  He risked pretty much the whole world for that war.  So it seems highly likely that he thought it was a good war, at least initially. 

I don't know if he was disillusioned or not later.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
He wasnt very popular in the rangers because he was a boot (soldier with no prior deployments) and the army gave him priveleges. He was a team leader, he got promoted, etc. I dont know if he was "murdered" or not but its very possible. Treating Tillman differently than other soldiers was a mistake.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 5:40 PM

Treating Tillman differently than other soldiers was a mistake.

They did it for their own benefit, not his.

It wasn't a mistake, it just didn't work.

Top 50 Contributor
2,258 Posts
Points 34,610

I doubt he was purposefully killed by our own side, iirc he's not the only one who died in that incident.

I read the letters that he sent back to his fiancee, later published by her. She's now married someone else and has kids.

Tillman did realize near the end that he was a fool to leave her and everything else behind for this war. His letters are pretty heartbreaking.

Had he survived, he'd be a name, a war-hero, and could've parlayed that into a push into politics and onto the presidency, potentially. He would've made a useful tool for TPTB.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

I thought he was killed by blackwater operatives in a "mistake" of "friendly fire."

Alex Jones (...) always talked about how Tillman wrote letters to his relatives where he denigrated the war effort and said rthat "we don't even have a reason to be there."  Jones suspects that he was offed as a martyr for the public opinion.  He was propaganda for the war (or he was used as such) and if he'd have gotten out and spoken against it he would be a propaganda force against the war...

How far do we think that the militiary and political establishment will go to keep credibility?

Jessica Lynch was similarly exploited.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

i dont think the military could of been involved in a tillman assassination.  There are some covert subsectors of the military that could potentially do something like this, but they wouldnt have motive.  They wouldnt care if someone bashed the war.  

CIA/special interest groups would be the ones with motive and the means to do it.

Though i dont really know enough about tillman to judge whether it was an assassination or friendly fire.  seemed to be a lot of quick cover up in the beginning though.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
No, look. He was a professional athlete. Then he got recruited into a military unit. He thought he was "switching teams and sports" so to speak. But in the military, you have to earn your stripes. Pat Tillman was a victim of the meat grinder. They gave him a job he didnt have the experience for, and that experience was a requirement because the job involves leading people, and requires trust between ranks. He could have been killed by accident or he could have been shot by his own guys, he wasnt assassinated by the brass and it wasnt blackwater. In vn they used to "frag" officers they didnt trust, referring to fragmentation grenades. This could have been like that.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 200 Contributor
496 Posts
Points 8,945

ya straight up murder is possible too.  lots of those kids are incapable of thinking and constantly show their emotions with violence. 

probably a lot of hatred for the initial 9/11 recruitment boom and here was a guy with millions of $$$.  9/11 raised the standards in recruitment and here was the poster child of that movement the symbol of the next generation of soldiers better than them.

pre9/11 and post 9/11 brought about a difference in mentality too.  pre 9/11 pretty much joined for a job and post 9/11 joined for war, servitude, and to be a hero.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS