Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Reddit's view on the Walmart boycott

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

I find they need more "adjustments to their moral compasses" than any economic education.

It bothers me how it never occurrs to people these days to actually fix the problem themselves instead of forcing others to fix it (presuming it even needs fixing). Every time I stumble upon outcries like this, I suggest they just help the poor.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:53 AM

Ignoring everything else, even assuming that Walmart can pass off the full burden of a cost increase to consumers, exactly hod do they work out that a 50% increase in cost will only increase to all around 1 percent increase in prices?? Isn't that absolutely impossible? I skimmed the study and that's exactly what they seem to be saying

O.o

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:17 AM

From Reich's article:

More broadly, the widening inequality reflected in the gap between the pay of Walmart workers and the returns to Walmart investors, including the Walton fammily, haunts the American economy.

WMT share price is $69. Who is stopping WMT employees or potential WMT boycotters from becoming WMT shareholders themselves? Finally, everyone should be free to boycott whomever they want for whatever (stupid) reason they want.

Consumer spending is 70 percent of economic activity,...

That seems to be a huge part of the problem right there.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS