Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Father of the euro, in favor of local/alternative currencies?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680
liberation posted on Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:04 PM

I read about this guy but forgot his name. Could you help me out?

So he is one of the "founding fathers ot the euro" (whatever that means) and he says he always though of the euro as existing together with various local/alternative currencies.

www.stratfor.com/analysis/love-ones-own-and-importance-place www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100503_global_crisis_legitimacy www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KKN_jltI8 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQX3MybtVA batgap.com/ilona-ciunaite-elena-nezhinsky/
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Points 6,740

Are these your homework questions?

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155

There are a few persons who spring to mind. The first is Pierre Werner, Luxembourg Minister of Finance who in 1970 put forward a three steps program towards monetary unification.

Step one was coordination of budgetary politics and reduction of currency fluctuations. Step three consisted of fixed exchange rates and converged economies but no common central bank. As Philip Bagus pointed out step two was never clearly defined.

Britain's Nick Lawson (backed by PM John Major) proposed a different scheme in 1989: a common currency (ECU) and thirteen competing currencies, all accepted as legal tender. The Bundesbank backed this proposal as well but was outmuscled by German politicians.

Is your man one of these?

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

Step three consisted of fixed exchange rates

"Fixed" like a corridor? Or truly fixed? Which central bank would be responsible for converting, say, liras to marks at this fixed rate - Italian or German? Or any of them (or any in the union)?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:05 AM

Andris Birkmanis:

Step three consisted of fixed exchange rates

"Fixed" like a corridor? Or truly fixed? Which central bank would be responsible for converting, say, liras to marks at this fixed rate - Italian or German? Or any of them (or any in the union)?

Don't ask. All these plans sound like the Underpants Gnomes get rich scheme from South Park. Still I only have a BA in chemistry from a second rate university, not a PhD in economics from the Ivy League so the intricacies may be lost to me.
Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680

Are these your homework questions?

Nope.
www.stratfor.com/analysis/love-ones-own-and-importance-place www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100503_global_crisis_legitimacy www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KKN_jltI8 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQX3MybtVA batgap.com/ilona-ciunaite-elena-nezhinsky/
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680

Thanks for your feedbacks but to answer my original question: it's Bernard Lietaer himself.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS