Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Translate A Moronic Argument?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165
Willy Truth Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:35 PM

I...I don't...What?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 229
Points 3,055
ricarpe replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:47 PM

This statement probably has a similar logical thought process as people who say things such as:  "I use (insert service/company name) so often, I should get a discount/something for free!"

It's a poor understanding of economics at its most basic level.

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

"If government were efficient, it would cease to exist."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:05 PM

Hahaha, that's awesome

Tell him that it's funny that people who buy music don't ask the government to take their money away.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

He is basically saying that if governmennt taxation is stealing, then why do people who believe in this also "steal" music by downloading it (because we libertarians hate the RIAA MPAA copyrights and love piratebay).

Im a damn good communicator with trolls.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Excellent translation Kelvin!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

The way I look at it, what this guy is saying is the equivelant to:

"If my welfare checks stop coming in and I have to go get a real job...who will be there to watch re-runs of The Munsters!? I provide a valuable service to the television industry!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

I would say it's a non sequitur. However, he's trying to imply that the people who complain about the government stealing their money through taxes and such also "steal" through copyright infringement, etc.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:21 PM

It's funny that in both cases it's government claiming other people's property: other people's money, and other people's computer storage.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Haha, Munsters...

What do y'all think the easiest way to explain to a non-libertarian why "pirating" music is not immoral/should not be illegal?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:15 PM

Willy Truth:

Haha, Munsters...

What do y'all think the easiest way to explain to a non-libertarian why "pirating" music is not immoral/should not be illegal?

By getting them to understand that it isn't stealing.

When you download a song, you aren't taking a song away from anyone else. Everyone who had that song before still has their song and if anyone else wants to download that song, they still can. If you go to a store and take a pair of sneakers without paying, you are removing 1 less pair of shoes from the market and you are doing so illigitimately because you've aggressed against someone else's property.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

So since property arises to allocate scarce resources--things that can be used by only one actor at a time, digital music does not qualify as property because it can be copied?

So what on my hard drive qualifies as property?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

Willy Truth:

So since property arises to allocate scarce resources--things that can be used by only one actor at a time, digital music does not qualify as property because it can be copied?

So what on my hard drive qualifies as property?

The entire hard drive is your property, unless you've entered into a contract that says otherwise about the use of the data contained within it; Diablo 3 for example.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS