Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Nurses/Staff Required to Wear Masks at HCA Hospitals, But Not Doctors

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2012 10:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospita...ion_of_America

At all HCA Hospitals (lots in Houston), all nurses and staff that do not get flu shots are required to wear masks all day long.

But doctors who don't get flu shot (and I've heard there are many) are not required to wear masks.

This proves that the policy is not about safety.

Call the management up and complain.

http://clearlakermc.com/contact-us/phone-directory.dot

http://hcagulfcoast.com/about/leadership.dot
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 12:10 PM

The internet is trending with these types of stories.  I think their is something sinister about this going on with the Federal Government trying to get people to consumer the the vaccinations of their friends without exposing their friends to any liability.

My opinion is that in a free market for healthcare, this decision would be up to the employees themselves to get the shot and avoid issues with their employers.  In the current government run healthcare system this is simply a back door approach to get people to consume something they would rather not do.  So under the current govenrment I think this is a horrible policy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 12:33 PM

"The internet is trending with these types of stories."

I got this info DIRECTLY from someone who works at a HCA Hospital.  I do not want to give their name or which HCA hospital and put their job at risk.

And this person PERSONALLY knows several doctors at their hospitals who did not get the flu shots.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 2:20 PM

I'm not seeing the problem here with this inconsistency. Where's the aggression?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 2:40 PM

is this prvate policy or government regulatuon?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 2:47 PM

"I'm not seeing the problem here with this inconsistency. Where's the aggression?"

We both know HCA hospitals exist because government funnels tons of money to them via medicaid and other government subsidies.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 2:54 PM

"I'm not seeing the problem here with this inconsistency. Where's the aggression?"

Also, the problem is that in return for these subsidies, I believe HCA does their part to push vaccines.  My only guess as to why, is because vaccine companies must give money to the right politicians. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

the problem is with HCA and how this makes them look.

It makes the policy look like it is not about safety, but compliance and pushing flu vaccines.

Which would beg the question, why does HCA care about pushing flu vaccines?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:31 PM

limitgov:

Which would beg the question, why does HCA care about pushing flu vaccines?

Hospitals get penalized from Medicare for not properly screening all patients.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS