Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

SPSS and other statistical package. Which one do you recommend ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,440
Rodolphe Topffer Posted: Sun, Jan 6 2013 9:09 PM

I want to perform some statistical anayses (e.g., using the NLSY data), I would like to know which one is the best. Personally, I have OpenStat, and a free version of SPSS (version 19, -- 14 days trial). The programs available for free are not very good. And i'm not satisfied. If one of you use this kind of program, and know about a good one, let me know.

My concern is that, while I usually understand the stuff behind the econometrics, I rarely do this myself (and this is why I want to get the better tools). And so, if you know about a good guide, then let me know. Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,150

Why not program your own package using C++? It is what I do when I want to perform analysis or writing programs which analyse data continously.

Try R or Matlab. Both have inbuilt statistics packages. R is free and there are a vast number of open source libraries.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

+1 for R.

Its language is a bit idiosyncratic if you come from some other programming language, but the sheer number of available packages make programming almost optional (unless you are into developing your own methods).

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 40

PSPP is decent (and open source); however, I have completed several graduate level stats classes and have been able to scrap by with just excel (or the open source equivilent Libre).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,440
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370

I'm a big fan of GRETL for many things. For more heavy duty stuff R is probably better like Andris suggested.

Also I tend to prefer free stuff, but if you can get someone to pay for you, more power to you :D

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS