Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Who invented 'thick libertarianism'?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko Posted: Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:16 AM

I saw Tom Woods mentioned it today, so I'm asking because I remember we used to have people on here who were big into 'thick libertarianism". Who are the big gurus of 'thick libertarianism'? Who did brainpolice and other resident lefties get this designation from?

Anybody knows its orign and stuff?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 12,685

Maybe start here:

http://radgeek.com/gt/2008/10/03/libertarianism_through/

"It would be preposterous to assert apodictically that science will never succeed in developing a praxeological aprioristic doctrine of political organization..." (Mises, UF, p.98)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:41 AM

I'm still perplexed by the persistency of this subject in debates. The way I always understood this -- and have yet to read a counter-argument for it -- all humans have subjective valuations/preferences. Libertarians are those humans who would not initiate aggression towards reaching their subjectively valued ends. Period. 

Introducing "thickness" allows everyone to become a libertarian with just a different quality and quantity of their "thickness" -- rendering libertarianism itself meaningless. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:59 PM
Its the conversion factor. That "thin-ness" is a crack in the armor. Peel outward, and reveal the human inside.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

"Who did brianpolice and other resident lefties"

I honestly don't understand brainpolice, how can you be left-libertarian and a fan of Austrian economics? How is he a lefty?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:58 PM
Because he is a cop, he benefits from the state.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

wow, this still exists?

I hope this thread gets amusing

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS