Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Question about The Economics of Liberty book by Lew Rockwell.

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 64
Points 1,535
Jason Posted: Fri, Apr 25 2008 4:48 PM

I bought this book years ago and have lost it.  It is not posted online in PDF format, so it is a shame.  One of the essay's in the book spoke of bombing Iran and declaring a War on Terror.  This was the first reference to this idea pre-911, I can find.  Can someone help me with which essay it is?  I would buy it, but do not have the funds right now.  Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Fri, Apr 25 2008 5:14 PM

Joseph Sobran's essay, End the War on Drugs, has this passage:

"As for the war on terrorism, nobody even knows how to commcence it, unless by declaring Iran the embodiment of terrorism and dropping a few bombs." (p. 222)

The book was published in 1990.

jasokell:

I would buy it, but do not have the funds right now.

The book is only $5.

AnalyticalAnarchism.net - The Positive Political Economy of Anarchism

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

I was actually about to get this at a newer used book store i've shopped recently; but I opted for rothbard's "power & market" & spencer's "the man vs. the state" instead since I was strapped for cash D:

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 64
Points 1,535
Jason replied on Mon, Apr 28 2008 4:50 PM

Thanks for the info!  Have not had much money since I got married about 9 months ago.  Will buy, but not quite yet.  Why is this not front page news?  Since he worked for the National Review, it seems the idea of a War on Terrorism was played around with, more than once.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Tue, Apr 29 2008 10:39 AM

The War on Terror was the Project for a New American Century's brainchild well before 9/11, I believe.  Iraq was on Bush's hit list as early as 2001.  They just needed a Pearl Harbor event (9/11) to jump-start it all.  (Not to minimize 9/11, nor to say that it was done by the government.)

As for being front-page news, who do you think controls the media?  Anything that makes the neocons and the chickenhawks look really bad gets suppressed, and the only place you'll find it is online.

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 245
Levon replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:41 PM

I only just found the book in print on the Mises site. I appreciate the abundance of liberty-oriented economic resources available for free in digital format, and I have read through quite a few, but I will make room in my budget for this collection. I dont know how I'd missed it...

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

You can buy it in digital format, strangely enough.

EDIT:  It's also free in PDF format (DUH).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Poor bastard.  It was uploaded to the site for free download only months after he started the thread.  I hope he noticed.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS