Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Parks and Recreation

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 8,630
fezwhatley Posted: Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:28 PM

I could never get into this show. its because this show is based upon a completely absurd premise. That low level government employees can be these attractive, witty, charasmatic folks. That they reap enjoyment from their jobs, that they are helpful to the community, and that somehow their jobs are full of excitement.

uggghhhhhhhhh

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:48 PM

attractive? 

I'd hit it.

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Then, comrade, you may need an enterntaining trip to a re-education camp recreation park. After that you will not question the infinite wisdom of the sages of the Dear Leader.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:50 PM

And I'll raise you Ron Swanson's clearly austro-libertarian views

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQTb40kV9k

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

The actor's views are quite the opposite...with him starring in one of those "Celebrities Know Best" videos with stars "demanding Congress take action" with regards to guns.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:00 PM

He was bribed with free bacon for life.  Everyone has a price.  

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 10:31 PM

I know Ron Swanson could be thought of as a satire of libs, but so is Leslie Knope re: statists. There's lots of little random snarky jabs I notice from time to time in certain episodes (not just towards libertarians either), but I still like the show. The whole thing is a satire, even of government. I don't really get the impression that it's trying to idolize and venerate anything compared to the real hagiographic bellyfeel stuff out there. It could have been a lot more mean spirited than it is. This isn't like that little dig in the Simpsons episode where it was all like "LOLAustrians"; Leslie Knope is used to lampoon as equally as Ron is, and both are pretty well humanized. Reason had a fairly decent article on it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 11:18 PM

Y'all are just butthurt that Ron Swanson's dialogue is pretty much a series of verbatim quotes right out of Von Mises' "Human Action".

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS