Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The link between BitCoin and the Austrian School

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
Paul Rantanen Posted: Sat, Mar 9 2013 2:25 AM

Didn't exactly know where to put this, but here it is. This is not about the regression theorem or anything like that, so I didn't think the "economics" section was appropriate.

The ECB paper "Virtual Currency Schemes" states that "The theoretical roots of Bitcoin can be found in the Austrian school of economics." So, I've been wondering if there's any kind of evidence to show that the developers/early adopters of Bitcoin were somehow influenced by Austrians?

P.S. If you're at all familiar with the history of BC, then leave a reply even if it's just to say "No evidence that I know of." All answers will help me.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 5:00 AM

Well, I'd look into the statements online of Satoshi Nakamoto, and read his original whitepaper for clues.

I think it's clear that the philosophy behind bitcoin, of decentralization, is inherent to the system. It's a whole lot of work and intelligence that went into bitcoin to make it decentralized.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

The paper does not quote any Austrian authors, and on a cursory glance seems to focus exclusively on the technical side. But that's neither here nor there...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 5:41 PM

there are allegations that Satoshi Nakamoto is an alias for Some other guy, would be good to see if that guy (unnamed because I cant remember) is an austrian.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Nielsio, that sly bastard...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS