Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What if Person is killed on the job and leaves children parentless?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:26 PM

How would the free market handle a situation like this:

single parent dies on the job.  children are left parentless.  What are some ways the free market could deal with this or take care of this?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:05 PM

Do you really believe that the mass majoirty of people are just too dumb or uncaring to actually take the small amount of effort that it takes to fill out a will or a letter of intent?  Do you believe that there are so many of these people that we need a tax payer funded bureaucracy enforced through the police to manage what simple contracts could do easily and that this bureaucracy would better serve children than the relatives and friends could?  I find this stunning.

But to answer the questions:

1. Through contracts like wills, letters of intent, etc. 

2. Absent these documents you could ask the children what they want to happen.  If too young then you could ask relatives to see if they would want to take care of the children or seek close friends who may want to take care of the children.  What about the business associates or civic organizations the parent belongs to, could they help?

3. If 1 does not exist and 2 is not possible, then in these cases there are a plethora of churches, organizations, etc who could help temporarily until other parents could be found.

In fact my grandfather paid membership dues to the "Knights of Columbus" although he was not an active member BECAUSE he was a single parent and worried that the kids would need a place to go if something happened to him.  The Knights of Columbus in that area ran an orphanage.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

thank you, i think myself rather stunning as well.

no, i believe we shouldn't have any government at TALL. but,

i still don't know how all the details would work and I have trouble explaining it to people.

but, i've read enough on lewrockwell and mises to convince me that no government is the only way to go.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:36 PM

Other than to be completely general and say through contracts, we are guessing what the cumulative actions of people will create.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:19 PM

single parent dies on the job.  children are left parentless.  What are some ways the free market could deal with this or take care of this?

The free market would make the children a sandwitch.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

Life insurance, obviously. 

Insurance is the liberarian duct tape. 

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

There would most likely be a general rule of thumb that would arise (e.g. a family member must take them in).

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 1:13 AM

stork market ldo

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

limitgov:

First-come, first-served.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history" - Dwight Schrute
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS