Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Am I wrong to not be angry?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee Posted: Tue, Mar 19 2013 6:37 PM

http://thecontributor.com/opinion/march-madness-5th-straight-year-extreme-corporate-tax-avoidance

"March Madness: The Fifth Straight Year of Extreme Corporate Tax Avoidance"

Avoiding taxes does not seem like a problem to me.  We all do it every year.  Companies like H&R Block advertise that they will maximize your refund.  They should all pay no taxes rather than pay up... 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

They benefit from their competition, or potential competition, having to pay taxes

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:04 PM

I don't think you should wish more taxation on another. 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

If you are replying to my comment I agree with you

From Ludwig Von Mises

But today taxes often absorb the greater part of the newcomer's "excessive" profits. He cannot accumulate capital; he cannot expand his own business; he will never become big business and a match for the vested interests. The old firms do not need to fear his competition; they are sheltered by the tax collector. They may with impunity indulge in routine, they may defy the wishes of the public and become conservative. It is true, the income tax prevents them, too, from accumulating new capital.

But what is more important for them is that it prevents the dangerous newcomer from accumulating any capital. They are virtually privileged by the tax system. In this sense progressive taxation checks economic progress and makes for rigidity. While under unhampered capitalism the ownership of capital is a liability forcing the owner to serve the consumers, modern methods of taxation transform it into a privilege.

The interventionists complain that big business is getting rigid and bureaucratic and that it is no longer possible for competent newcomers to challenge the vested interests of the old rich families. However, as far as their complaints are justified, they complain about things which are merely the result of their own policies.

lol I end up with bolding more than plain text

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

Sorry didn't word my post very well.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:45 PM

I prefer to call it 'tax resistance'.

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 9:43 PM

I was replying in general.  I think the anger should stem from not those that get the tax breaks, but at those who bestow taxes on others. 

However, I am uneasy with the corporations allegedly getting more money back than they had taken from them. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 8:34 AM

I am when they're parasitic extensions of the state, they lobby for the increased size of the state, and the debt ultimately has to be paid by taxpayers.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS