Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

"Why isn't the Minimum Wage $22?" - Our Lord and Savior Elizabeth Warren

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
183 Posts
Points 3,740
EmbraceLiberty posted on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwAQwItEjUo

I admit I haven't looked too much into her argument, but plan to when I finish running some errands. I was hoping for someone to easily destory her argument on this thread by refuting her measurement of productivty.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

I look forward to the responses on this one.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355

well it all comes back to subjective value and private property rights. I can envision a coercive political system I would approve of, because the system would appropriate other people's wealth and use it to produce things that I value. I think this is a useful exercise for all of you anarchists, you can always offer a counterpart to someone else's sytem that gives you what you value. 

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
219 Posts
Points 3,980
Suggested by ToxicAssets

She didn't measure anything, that's kind of the point.

Some study claimed there was an increase in the average worker's productivity since 1968, and with that in mind she made the erroneous assumption that workers at the minimum wage level contributed at least as equally (if not more) to that rise in productivity as other workers in the economy.

There's also a subtle implication that she thinks that there are people who were making the minimum wage in 1968 who are still only making the minimum wage today.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

+1 myhumangetsme

I should also like to point out that there are competitive disadvantages caused by companies, disequilibrium problems through trade, shitty state-manipulated education, and increases in poor-producing groups, I.E groups on welfare and people growing up in poor neighborhoods without working families.

Therefore increases in productivity are by no means evenly spaced. You also have the problem that Sowell consistently points out that percentage of households is highly unrepresentative of actual individuals within the group.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS