Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

UFC Post - Help me with Post about Free Market Judges

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Tue, Apr 30 2013 12:36 PM

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/26/4270348/free-market-judging-vs-government-judging

I made a post on bloodyelbow about why the UFC needs free market judges, refs, etc, instead of government appointed ones.  Bloodyelbow gets read by alot of mma fans.  Any help, by registering and posting on the site would be appreciated.

in the news today:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-dana-white-20130430,0,3612597.story

Dana White is calling for the government to update its rules on eye pokes.  The rules were written for boxing.  And of course, we all know, the government uses a one size fits all solution to everything.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 2:08 PM

The fingers need to be free to allow proper grappling. 

I just want knees to the head back. Just that and i'm a happy MMA fan.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 2:23 PM

"

The fingers need to be free to allow proper grappling. 

I just want knees to the head back. Just that and i'm a happy MMA fan."

Ultimately, the UFC will try and provide whatever the fans want.  That is why they should be in charge of making the rules, not some government commission.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 6:44 PM

Not that I think he would answer you, but Steven Crowddouche seems to be pretty big into UFC...

American Dream, FIGHT!! (Featuring the Gracies)

LEGALIZE MMA IN NY!!

And there was a thread kind of related on sport governing body monopolies from a long time ago

http://mises.org/community/forums/t/25909.aspx

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 385
Monroe replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:48 PM

WBO is corrupt beyond repair (remember Pacquiao v Bradley?)

I do Muay Thai/BJJ fighting at AZ Combat Sports, and there are loads of discussions there about how to efficiently and consistently judge the outcome of a fight. The simplest way the majority of us agree upon is to 'finish' the fight. The recent Jones v Sonnen fight ended with an eye poke apparently (though no one noticed Jones' broken toe until Rogan interviewed him after the fight ended...). I wouldn't have agreed, but the fact of the matter is that you're right: using government appointed anything will be less efficient that privately appointed anything.

Controversy would obviously arise from 'finishing' a fight, but solutions to efficiently judging that term would be more easily uncovered privately. I think fans would appreciate that.

"...if there is one thing that stings people just enough to commit violence, it is the feeling of powerlessness." - Monroe "yes, I just quoted myself..." - Monroe
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

But the government always uses good policies and they are always in favour of public welfare. So it is better to some of its chances.

things to do in Boston for kids

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 385
Monroe replied on Wed, May 1 2013 12:00 AM

Extrapolating out of this example, try to realize what you are saying: "a small group of people always make the right choice for the individual." Is this better than saying: "the individual making the right choice for the individual" ?

"...if there is one thing that stings people just enough to commit violence, it is the feeling of powerlessness." - Monroe "yes, I just quoted myself..." - Monroe
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Wed, May 1 2013 1:11 AM

just do black market fights to the death, have at it, have fun

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"just do black market fights to the death, have at it, have fun"

good luck finding good fighters for that. 

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 385
Monroe replied on Wed, May 1 2013 10:02 AM
Or even very many fans for that matter
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Wed, May 1 2013 3:19 PM

ufc should get the rulebook and refs they want.

the black market fights to the death or severe injury made huge money, so i doubt that there is not a way to make it a finacialy viable business.

rome did well with gladiators fan wise.

not saying ufc would go for this streetfight  no rules, but another business sure could and make money for it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"rome did well with gladiators fan wise."

but they used slaves, didn't they?  and we don't know what other alternatives would have popped up, because the people had a highly regulated market, right?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 385
Monroe replied on Thu, May 2 2013 10:36 AM
cab21:

just do black market fights to the death, have at it, have fun

This is actually a great example of the black and white phenomenon. You might have said: "because it should not be regulated by public appointed officials, then somehow it would not be regulated at all." A gray, happy medium always exists, and the private market is the most efficient place to find it.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sat, May 4 2013 4:31 AM

i said in the next post i think free market is most efficiant. in this case free market would be ufc choosing what rules it has and it's business can rise or fall acording to the market.

ufc as a company is not looking for no rules streetfights, but in a free market a company that does could appear.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS