Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Cops: A Most Reform Proposal

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 155
Points 3,230
dchernik Posted: Tue, Jun 2 2009 5:30 PM

Lew has linked to an inspiring article on drug war today, and it is plain that cops, even local city policemen, seem hostile to people, something which in my view is entirely unnecessary. I will suggest five reforms which should improve the image of cops in the eyes of the public.

First, raise all speed limits by 20 mph. Lower the drinking age to 16 or repeal it entirely. Permit drinking and driving (Lew makes a brilliant case for it). This will eliminate most of the unpleasant contact between law-abiding citizens and the police.

Second, stop the war on drugs. All drugs, whether legal or currently illegal, should be available in whatever store wishes to carry them over the counter. (One would almost think that the drug war was a federal conspiracy intended to undermine local -- that is, on the level of a town -- self-government.)

Third, make cops protect individuals rather than serving abstract “justice,” when even philosophers disagree what justice really is. If I have my nose broken by a thug, it is I who suffer not “justice.” Let the thug pay his debt to me not society. So, let cops protect the victims from evildoers and judges award the victims damages, to be paid by the offenders.

Fourth, disarm all cops, disband all SWAT teams, and make it a crime for a cop to enter any private property without a warrant which should be very difficult to obtain, much more so than today.

Finally, abolish the so-called crime of lying to the police. The police have no claim on me to tell them the truth, unless I’m under oath. They are the detectives; let them figure out if it really is the butler who has done it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Tue, Jun 2 2009 5:35 PM

dchernik:

Fourth, disarm all cops, disband all SWAT teams, and make it a crime for a cop to enter any private property without a warrant which should be very difficult to obtain, much more so than today.

How do you make it harder? It would be nice but it doesn't seem realistic.

dchernik:

Third, make cops protect individuals rather than serving abstract “justice,” when even philosophers disagree what justice really is. If I have my nose broken by a thug, it is I who suffer not “justice.” Let the thug pay his debt to me not society. So, let cops protect the victims from evildoers and judges award the victims damages, to be paid by the offenders.

If only

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 430

Very interesting that you brought this up today, as I went on a civilian ride-a-long with my local police force on the graveyard shift last Friday night.  If you've never done one, I would suggest participating as it will really open your eyes as to what police deal with on a daily basis.  Not to mention it never hurts to know your local law enforcement on a first name basis.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Tue, Jun 2 2009 6:16 PM

mrwiizrd:

Very interesting that you brought this up today, as I went on a civilian ride-a-long with my local police force on the graveyard shift last Friday night.  If you've never done one, I would suggest participating as it will really open your eyes as to what police deal with on a daily basis.  Not to mention it never hurts to know your local law enforcement on a first name basis.

How does one do that?

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 430

Eric:

How does one do that?

Not sure where you live, but my county has everything on-line:

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/sheriff/sheriff_T62_R50.htm

I would suggest checking their website first.  I did 2 when I lived in texas and I had to go to the dispatch office to pick up the forms.  Call the non emergency dispatch line if there's nothing online.

As a side note, I always learn a lot and it's pretty damn fun too.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Tue, Jun 2 2009 6:33 PM

Cops "protecting" people would only make problems much much much worse.  A maternal state "protecting" me is the last thing I want.  Allow the right to bear arms and protection agencies to do the actual protecting.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Tue, Jun 2 2009 11:39 PM

http://books.google.com/books?id=UmvqMvAQ7TMC&printsec=frontcover

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS