Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The austrian view on monopoly and competition vs the neoclassical

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
139 Posts
Points 2,970
Magnus posted on Mon, Sep 29 2008 9:54 AM

I need some help here people. Could someone recommend a couple of articles on the subject of the austrian view on monopoly and competition? I'm not looking for books on the subject or audio lectures, just some articles that covers the basics (that can be found on the internet). It would be a big plus if the articles also contrasts the austrian view with the neoclassical one ("perfect competition" etc..)

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'd recommend reading the entire chapter in Man, Economy and State on competition and monopolies. I think it's chapter XI.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
139 Posts
Points 2,970
Magnus replied on Mon, Sep 29 2008 10:23 AM

Jon Irenicus:

I'd recommend reading the entire chapter in Man, Economy and State on competition and monopolies. I think it's chapter XI.

-Jon

I have read this chapter! And yes, it's great!

The thing is, I'm not trying to convince or teach myself. You see, I have a school assignment where I and 3 others will be writing an essay on the subject of perfect competition, we don't know yet what the actual question will be but we know that this is the subject. I want to take this assignement as an opportunity to spread the wisdom of the austrians and frankly, I doubt that the others in my group will read the entire chaper on monopoly in Man, economy and state (it's 115 pages long!!!). Hopefully, if i can get them to read an article or two on the subject I can convince them to write about it from an austrian perspective with me.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Hayek has a piece about perfect competition in Individualism and Economic Order.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Armentano also had a couple of good articles on Mises.org. Worth checking out.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Points 3,095
Cesar replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 9:56 AM

I believe Monopolies are dead in the long run. But in the short run they can do a lot of damage. Government does create monopolies trough its "creative" laws, but does that mean we dont need any competition rules/laws in a free market??

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 10:41 AM
That's right. We don't.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 150 Contributor
743 Posts
Points 11,795

Cesar:

I believe Monopolies are dead in the long run. But in the short run they can do a lot of damage. Government does create monopolies trough its "creative" laws, but does that mean we dont need any competition rules/laws in a free market??

What competition rules do you have in mind? When firms compete- they do so to satisfy the consumer. Placing rules limits their ability to engage in that activity.

Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Points 3,095
Cesar replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 2:36 PM

You sound just like Firestone when their tires were blowing up all over the place back in 2000 killing families. I understand your free market stuff.

auctionguy10:

Cesar:

What competition rules do you have in mind? When firms compete- they do so to satisfy the consumer. Placing rules limits their ability to engage in that activity.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
350 Posts
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 2:42 PM

Cesar:

You sound just like Firestone when their tires were blowing up all over the place back in 2000 killing families. I understand your free market stuff.

auctionguy10:

Cesar:

You didn't even brother to answer the question!

http://libregamewiki.org - The world's only encyclopedia on free(as in freedom) gaming.

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

kiba:
You didn't even brother to answer the question!

Just ignore him.

Top 150 Contributor
743 Posts
Points 11,795

Cesar:

Ok.

So what competition rules did you have in mind?

Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Points 3,095
Cesar replied on Thu, Nov 20 2008 3:11 PM

I try to avoid being repetitive so tell me yours first.

Top 150 Contributor
743 Posts
Points 11,795

Cesar:

I try to avoid being repetitive so tell me yours first.

I don't think any laws or regulations are necessary for competition to take place- and that any addition of new laws to turn competition into something that the lawmakers think is better suited to them- does not work in favor for consumers.

So what rules do you think are needed for competition between firms?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS