Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Human Action Study Group?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585
Solid_Choke posted on Wed, Dec 17 2008 2:53 AM

I am considering ordering a copy of Human Action, along with Robert Murphy's study guide, to study over the Winter Break. Is anyone interested in starting a thread in which we can post questions and comments about each of the chapters? If there is interest I will go ahead and order a copy. What do you guys think?

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585

I'll take that as a no... Go ahead and delete this thread.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 225
analog replied on Thu, Dec 18 2008 8:49 AM

I will spend some time on this group if it gets going. Both the book (http://mises.org/Books/humanaction.pdf) and the guide (http://www.mises.org/books/humanactionstudy.pdf) are free online. The book is about 900 pages, so maybe you should make some timeline to get through it all. I can handle a chapter every day or two, but will be lacking internet for about a week around XMAS.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Um, you barely gave it a day's time...

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
258 Posts
Points 4,595

I'm down for it. I took a crack at Human Action about 4 months ago and got 250 or so pages into it before aborting the attempt. The most difficult thing was that I had to go to the dictionary on almost every page, but now with my newly expanded idiolect and the study guide it should be a bit easier.

What kind of pace are are you thinking of? Don't count me in 100% just yet, but I definitely have some interest.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
597 Posts
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
Suggested by ryanpatgray

Hey, what do you think about an entire Human Action site? So the idea would be a separate domain that offers text, study guide, audio chapter by chapter but a forum entirely dedicated to the book, section by section.

Does that sound like a good idea? I'm thinking this might be an interesting 2009 project if we can get the funding.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Male
783 Posts
Points 14,645

jtucker:

Hey, what do you think about an entire Human Action site? So the idea would be a separate domain that offers text, study guide, audio chapter by chapter but a forum entirely dedicated to the book, section by section.

Does that sound like a good idea? I'm thinking this might be an interesting 2009 project if we can get the funding.

Sounds like a great idea!

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
J.Galt replied on Thu, Dec 25 2008 6:18 PM

I think that a Human Action study site sounds like a fantastic idea.  I just received the Scholar's Edition for Christmas and am really excited about gaining a deeper understanding of Austrian economics.  I would appreciate any resource that helped me to draw more from Mises' magnum opus.  

Top 500 Contributor
Male
162 Posts
Points 2,555

I received human action as a  gift as well.  Thanks Joe!   The idea of reading it in a few weeks or a month seems rather ambitious though.  If the site comes together great , but if not perhaps we can still set  up something informal with the tools we have ie the forum and live chat.  Weekly reading assignments and then we can use the forum and   live chat to discuss

Top 500 Contributor
Male
162 Posts
Points 2,555

jtucker:

I know it's been little more than a week since this was posted, but has there been any progress towards this end? Also if other sites members would post there interest in this project it may help Unless it's more than the three people who have posted I doubt it will happen.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325

jtucker:

That sounds great, actually.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Perhaps integrate it into this forum?

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 200 Contributor
412 Posts
Points 8,630

I like this idea. I will need to buy a copy of the book, the PDF just doesnt cut it for anything longer than 100pgs.

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
597 Posts
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Yes, perhaps there is a way to integrate it into community server somehow. I guess that would be best. A group?

Here's the thing, which I don't think has been announced. We have commissioned Riggenbach to do an audio of the book. We will have html, pdf, audio, and study guide. amazing huh? We are just trying to think of the best way to present all this stuff.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

A group or a closed subforum, either would be good.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS