Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Argument rebuttal

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric Posted: Wed, Jan 14 2009 7:18 PM

How should i properly rebuttal when a statist claims that working mothers need economic help, and that people have to sometimes work 3 jobs. I can come up with somethings but I was wondering if there were any good knock out punches so to speak to show how government creates this. thanks

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Wed, Jan 14 2009 8:05 PM

Eric:
How should i properly rebuttal when a statist claims that working mothers need economic help, and that people have to sometimes work 3 jobs.

Agree that it would be good if the woman was helped, after all, it is not an easy life.  However, show how there is no free lunch.  Indeed, the statist can point out that this person is helped by economic policy X.   Explain that in the field of economics, it is important to look at everyone who is benefited and harmed, and it is fallicious to say that economic policy X is good because it helps that person, without looking at who is harmed.  Also, this is an ethical issue, is it ethical for someone to force somebody else to give them money?  Is it ethical for them to force others to follow laws which they do not agree with?

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Wed, Jan 14 2009 8:16 PM

Poverty is a problem that's hard to solve even by free market standard, but economic regulations are sure to solve none.

These regulations are rarely beign due to special interest groups that control them or have disasterous consequences that are often unforseen by supporters.

For examples, the miniumun wage law actually destory the minority's ability to leverage. Without this sort of leverage, business can just hire people based on superfical quality such as the color of their skins.  Without minimum wage laws, they would suffer the consequences of hiring people who demand more money than they are worth but are of the right skin color. Thus the law hurt the very people it tries to help.

http://libregamewiki.org - The world's only encyclopedia on free(as in freedom) gaming.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Wed, Jan 14 2009 8:47 PM

Eric:
How should i properly rebuttal when a statist claims that working mothers need economic help, and that people have to sometimes work 3 jobs. I can come up with somethings but I was wondering if there were any good knock out punches so to speak to show how government creates this. thanks

I think that wages would be higher under a free market, because there would be more competition among employers.  Without taxes and inflation stealing large portions of people's earnings, they could save large nest eggs and start their own businesses.  Hence, more competition among employers.

I would also point out lower rents in a free market for the same reason: more homeowners, more competition among landlords.  Under the current system, people have to mortgage almost all of the cost of their homes.  That money is just printed by the banks.  Under a free market with a stable currency, their wouldn't be as much money to bid up the price of homes.  Lower home prices, more homeowners, more competition among landlords.

Hope that makes sense.

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Single motherhood will not be a popular choice in freed markets, because unless the mother earns a substantial salary (or has only a few kids to care for), she will be responsible for the entirety of their upbringing. Unless she has extended family or can make use of something like a friendly or mutual society or charity, she's on her own. What that suggests is that many women will have to rethink their lifestyle choices. Yes, there will be more competition in a free market, and yes there will be no onerous, idiotic, elitist "legislation" to get in people's way, but to a large extent there will also have to be a cultural upheaval. If a woman can't afford to raise a child, selling custodial rights to it might be an option...

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790
Sphairon replied on Thu, Jan 15 2009 6:20 AM

If a woman can't afford to raise a child, selling custodial rights to it might be an option...

When I last proposed this to a progressive friend, I was called a "misanthrope" and "disgusting". So I recommend being careful with using this point in a public debate.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Obviously, but there's no right to have a child understood as an obligation of others to provide for it. It's just common sense: if you cannot afford many children, abstain from having them.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 34
Points 605

I often take the angle of how private charities are crowded out by government, and donors are less wealthy from a tax system that takes half of their income. If and when they still insist that private charities won't do enough, I point out how there are very few lower end private schools as a result of the crowding out effect, yet they would do a better job at a lower price. Then ask, "how is it that you progressives think that no one would privately support a system that the majority of Americans support through compulsion?"

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV. And you think you're so clever and class less and free. But you're still f***ing peasants as far as I can see.

There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill, if you want to be like the folks on the hill.

Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,350

As freewheeler explained, charities such as this are "crowded out" by the government.

Being a Christian, I believe that the church has large responsibilities regarding charity. For whatever reason, though, many of these responsibilities aren't met by the church today. Be it the church no longer offers the help, or people simply don't go to the church for help, it's sad to see that this great responsibility of the church is fading away to many. I believe that if churches would regroup, reorganize and work to meet their responsibilities listed in the Bible, and if we were to create a completely free market society in which single mothers do not receive ANY monetary help from the government, very, very few if any mothers would go without what they need. And even without the church, if there is a need for the charity, it is sure to arise, is it not?

Righteous government, or the righteous lack thereof, is not the producer of a righteous society, it is the product of one.

You can't have my guns, but I'd be glad to give you my bullets...

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 6,780
MatthewF replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 7:19 PM

When addressing these statist questions, I try to cover 5 points: Morality, utility, the nature of man, the status quo, and realism.

Morality: When someone is trying to take the moral high road i.e. What about the pregnant poor old crippled minority women? They should be reminded that it isn’t moral to force charity at the point of a gun.

Utility: Anyone making a claim of government being more cost effective or efficient than private organizations is joking. We all could cite numerous examples of constantly falling prices and improving quality from the market and the opposite from the state. Also remember the broken window fallacy.

The nature of man: Do you think man is basically good or evil? If man is good then we will help each other voluntarily, no government needed. If man is basically evil then the last thing we should do is allow some of us to rule over others, because those rulers will be evil.

The status quo: So you want the government to help the poor working mothers? How’s that working out for us so far?

Realism: These types of questions are always about some small percentage of the population and presented as an either or case. Either you support the state solving problem X or you support problem X. I don’t think this even warrants further explanation.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

a good point was made about the damage of laws like minimum wage. yet more can be said for how unions distort the labour market favouring skilled over unskilled workers. yet more for the taxes on business and capital (that lead to capital accumulation being retarded and cause productivity pf labour not to increase as fast as it could).we could say yet more about welfare state crowding out private charity

working 3 jobs at low pay could easily be getter than working no jobs on low welfare as at least on the job you can develop work skills and a reputation for being a competent worker that brings profit to a highering employer. so it is a means of improvement. this is often called 'opportunity' . statism is against real opportunity of this kind.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS