Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Healthcare Reform Will Create Jobs

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:07 PM

Let me please play the devil's advocate here...

healthcare reform will create ___ jobs. 

This is a good thing.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

That part sounds good. How many jobs will it destroy?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445

It is irrational spending not incited by market demand or proper investment. If I go around and confiscate money from everyone in my neighborhood and then higher some gardeners then I will have also created jobs, but now the desires of those peoples who I stole the money from won't be satisfied and jobs won't be created from real demand by people who are being sociable and working. I'd just direct you to Bastiat's article of the broken window.... As far as I can tell that should have obliterated keynsian economics 100 years before it was developed

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

limitgov:

Let me please play the devil's advocate here...

This is a good thing.

http://jim.com/econ/chap04p1.html

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:15 AM

I figured out why kenyesianism didn't work. Its because when they created a bunch of jobs by making people dig holes, they didn't create enough stimulus.

You could double the amount of jobs created if you also paid people to fill the holes back up. If they did this maybe we wouldn't be in a depression right now.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:37 AM

My healtcare program costs my company about $7000.  Why don't you create a job by getting with 9 friends and each chipping in that 7K to create one 42K job plus benefits.  Or better yet save the environment by just paying the person the money to do nothing.  If that is a good deal to you then why don't you do it.  If not then it probably isn't a good deal to the rest of us either.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 353
Points 5,400
nhaag replied on Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:42 AM

The answer to the devil's advocate seem to be Bastiat's broken window fallacy.

In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded.

Terry Pratchett (on the big bang theory)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

limitgov:

This is a good thing.

What kind of sick bastard would want to create work to do?  What we need are consumers' goods and services.

Jobs are not desirable in and of themselves.  They are only desirable by virtue of their ability to lead to consumers' goods and services.  A government-sponsored job may be good for the lucky individual who receives it, but for society as a whole, it is almost always a relative detriment, because the labor involved is almost always less productive than the factors of production which the free market would have directed the new job's wages to.  And for society as a whole it is an absolute detriment to the extent that the activity of the job diminishes the capital structure.  In the first case, growth is limited.  In the latter case, wealth is destroyed.  In neither case is wealth created.  And in both cases, wealth is redistributed.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS