Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Andrew Jackson

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 675
protection Posted: Sun, Mar 11 2012 4:07 PM

DR. COLMAN TO GENERAL JACKSON.
Warrenton, Va, April 21st, 1824.

Dear Sir: Being one of the six members of the Virginia Assembly in the caucus last winter who voted for you as a fit and proper person to be supported by the people of the State for the presidency of the United States, and having since heard that you are in favor of the "protecting duty policy," I take the liberty of desiring you to inform me whether you intend voting for the Tariff Bill now before Congress. I wish to have information on the subject as soon as your convenience will permit, that I may answer the Fredericksburg Committee who invite my cooperation in getting up a ticket for the Hero of New Orleans. In this county you have many friends, and some think your support will be better in Petersburg than in any of the contiguous counties. We are anti-Tariff here; and candor requires me to say that should you be the advocate of a measure to which our interest is evidently opposed -- the zeal with which you have been hitherto supported will be relaxed.

I am, &c., L.H. Colman.

GENERAL JACKSON TO DR. COLMAN.
Washington City,
April 26th, 1824.

Sir: I have had the honor this day to receive your letter of the 21st instant, and with candor shall reply to it. My name has been brought before the nation by the people themselves without any agency of mine: for I wish it not to be forgotten that I have never solicited office, nor when called upon by the constituted authorities have ever declined where I conceived my services would be beneficial to my country. But as my name has been brought before the nation for the first office in the gift of the people, it is incumbent on me, when asked, frankly to declare my opinion upon any political or national question pending before and about which the country feels an interest.

You ask me my opinion on the Tariff. I answer, that I am in favor of a judicious examination and revision of it;  and so far as the Tariff before us embraces the design of fostering, protecting, and preserving within ourselves the means of national defense and independence, particularly in a state of war, I would advocate and support it. The experience of the late war ought to teach us a lesson;  and one never to be forgotten. If our liberty and republican form of government, procured for us by our revolutionary fathers, are worth the blood and treasure at which they were obtained, it surely is our duty to protect and defend them. Can there be an American patriot, who saw the privations, dangers, and difficulties experienced for the want of a proper means of defense during the last war, who would be willing again to hazard the safety of our country if embroiled;  or rest it for defense on the precarious means of national resources to be derived from commerce, in a state of war with a maritime power which might destroy that commerce to prevent our obtaining the means of defense, and thereby subdue us ?  I hope there is not;  and if there is, I am sure he does not deserve to enjoy the blessing of freedom.

Heaven smiled upon, and gave us liberty and independence. That same providence has blessed us with the means of national independence and national defense. If we omit or refuse to use the gifts which He has extended to us, we deserve not the continuation of His blessings. He has filled our mountains and our plains with minerals -- with lead, iron, and copper, and given us a climate and soil for the growing of hemp and wool. These being the grand materials of our national defense, they ought to have extended to them adequate and fair protection, that our own manufactories and laborers may be placed on a fair competition with those of Europe;  and that we may have within our own country a supply of those leading and important articles so essential to war. Beyond this, I look at the Tariff with an eye to the proper distribution of labor and revenue;  and with a view to discharge our national debt. I am one of those who do not believe that a national debt is a national blessing, but rather a curse to a republic;  inasmuch as it is calculated to raise around the administration a moneyed aristocracy dangerous to the liberties of the country.

This Tariff -- I mean a judicious one -- possesses more fanciful than real dangers. I will ask what is the real situation of the agriculturalist ?  Where has the American farmer a market for his surplus products ?  Except for cotton he has neither a foreign nor a home market. Does not this clearly prove, when there is no market either at home or abroad, that there is too much labor employed in agriculture ? and that the channels of labor should be multiplied ?  Common sense points out at once the remedy. Draw from agriculture the superabundant labor, employ it in mechanism and manufactures, thereby creating a home market for your breadstuffs, and distributing labor to a most profitable account, and benefits to the country will result. Take from agriculture in the United States six hundred thousand men, women, and children, and you at once give a home market for more breadstuffs than all Europe now furnishes us. In short, sir, we have been too long subject to the policy of the British merchants. It is time we should become a little more Americanized, and instead of feeding the paupers and laborers of Europe, feed our own, or else in a short time, by continuing our present policy, we shall all be paupers ourselves.

It is, therefore, my opinion that a careful Tariff is much wanted to pay our national debt, and afford us the means of that defense within ourselves on which the safety and liberty of our country depend;  and last, though not least, give a proper distribution to our labor, which must prove beneficial to the happiness, independence, and wealth of the community.

This is a short outline of my opinions, generally, on the subject of your inquiry, and believing them correct and calculated to further the prosperity and happiness of my country, I declare to you I would not barter them for any office or situation of a temporal character that could be given me.

I have presented you my opinions freely, because I am without concealment, and should indeed despise myself if I could believe myself capable of acquiring the confidence of any by means so ignoble.

I am, sir, very respectfully your obedient servant,
Andkew Jackson.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 4:31 PM

He wants

1) Money for national defense

2) To pay off the debt

3) To distribute labor properly

I do not have enough historical knowledge to speak of the inadequacies of the war he addressed (which one is it)?

I have also not thought about how national debts should go about being paid or not paid.

Lastly, the market will distribute labor.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I didn't know Jackson was a protectionist.  That was a good read.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 675
protection replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 11:07 PM

"to be independent for the comforts of life we must fabricate them ourselves.  We must now place the manufacturer by the side of the agriculturist."

Thomas Jefferson
to Benjamin Austin, Esq.
Monticello, January 9, 1816.
"You tell me I am quoted by those who wish to continue our dependence on England for manufactures.  There was a time when I might have been so quoted with more candor, but within the thirty years which have since elapsed, how are circumstances changed!  We were then in peace.  Our independent place among nations was acknowledged.  A commerce which offered the raw material in exchange for the same material after receiving the last touch of industry, was worthy of welcome to all nations.  It was expected that those especially to whom manufacturing industry was important, would cherish the friendship of such customers by every favor, by every inducement, and particularly cultivate their peace by every act of justice and friendship.  Under this prospect the question seemed legitimate, whether, with such an immensity of unimproved land, courting the hand of husbandry, the industry of agriculture, or that of manufactures, would add most to the national wealth ?  And the doubt was entertained on this consideration chiefly, that to the labor of the husbandman a vast addition is made by the spontaneous energies of the earth on which it is employed :  for one grain of wheat committed to the earth, she renders twenty, thirty, and even fifty fold, whereas to the labor of the manufacturer nothing is added.  Pounds of flax, in his hands, yield, on the contrary, but pennyweights of lace.  This exchange, too, laborious as it might seem, what a field did it promise for the occupations of the ocean ;  what a nursery for that class of citizens who were to exercise and maintain our equal rights on that element ?  This was the state of things in 1785, when the “Notes on Virginia” were first printed ;  when, the ocean being open to all nations, and their common right in it acknowledged and exercised under regulations sanctioned by the assent and usage of all, it was thought that the doubt might claim some consideration.  But who in 1785 could foresee the rapid depravity which was to render the close of that century the disgrace of the history of man ?  Who could have imagined that the two most distinguished in the rank of nations, for science and civilization, would have suddenly descended from that honorable eminence, and setting at defiance all those moral laws established by the Author of nature between nation and nation, as between man and man, would cover earth and sea with robberies and piracies, merely because strong enough to do it with temporal impunity ;  and that under this disbandment of nations from social order, we should have been despoiled of a thousand ships, and have thousands of our citizens reduced to Algerine slavery.  Yet all this has taken place.  One of these nations interdicted to our vessels all harbors of the globe without having first proceeded to some one of hers, there paid a tribute proportioned to the cargo, and obtained her license to proceed to the port of destination.  The other declared them to be lawful prize if they had touched at the port, or been visited by a ship of the enemy nation.  Thus were we completely excluded from the ocean.  Compare this state of things with that of ’85, and say whether an opinion founded in the circumstances of that day can be fairly applied to those of the present.  We have experienced what we did not then believe, that there exist both profligacy and power enough to exclude us from the field of interchange with other nations :  that to be independent for the comforts of life we must fabricate them ourselves.  We must now place the manufacturer by the side of the agriculturist.  The former question is suppressed, or rather assumes a new form.  Shall we make our own comforts, or go without them, at the will of a foreign nation ?  He, therefore, who is now against domestic manufacture, must be for reducing us either to dependence on that foreign nation, or to be clothed in skins, and to live like wild beasts in dens and caverns.  I am not one of these ;  experience has taught me that manufactures are now as necessary to our independence as to our comfort ;  and if those who quote me as of a different opinion, will keep pace with me in purchasing nothing foreign where an equivalent of domestic fabric can be obtained, without regard to difference of price, it will not be our fault if we do not soon have a supply at home equal to our demand, and wrest that weapon of distress from the hand which has wielded it.  If it shall be proposed to go beyond our own supply, the question of ’85 will then recur, will our surplus labor be then most beneficially employed in the culture of the earth, or in the fabrications of art ?  We have time yet for consideration, before that question will press upon us ;  and the maxim to be applied will depend on the circumstances which shall then exist;  for in so complicated a science as political economy, no one axiom can be laid down as wise and expedient for all times and circumstances, and for their contraries.  Inattention to this is what has called for this explanation, which reflection would have rendered unnecessary with the candid, while nothing will do it with those who use the former opinion only as a stalking horse, to cover their disloyal propensities to keep us in eternal vassalage to a foreign and unfriendly people."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS