Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Does technology drive economic growth?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 112 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 255
Sniglet posted on Tue, Feb 3 2009 1:36 PM

There seems to be a pervasive belief that technological advances are the key to economic growth. Moreover, many people even believe that the creation of some new wondrous technology might be all that is needed to "save" the economy from the current downturn, and set the world back on a path of perpetual growth.

On the face of it, I find it hard to think this blind faith in the ability of technology to drive economic growth is well placed. There have been massive technological leaps in the past (e.g. railroads, telegraph, telephone, automobiles), yet they didn't stop the business cycle or prevent depressions, so why should some new-fangled internet, or computer, technologies prove to be a wonder cure for all that ails the economy?

Does anyone know of any thinking that has been done on this subject?

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030

Actually, technology is important.  However, your technological design is useless unless you have some way to build it, with savings and investment.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Rothbard has written about this. I'd say technology is required but to say it drives economic growth or that technology alone is sufficient misses the point. At any point in time the technology available is far superior to that in use. Without capital, technology is useless as there is no way to implement it.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095

The right technology drives economic growth, but economic growth drives technology.  They go hand in hand.  Technology is really just efficiency.

I would argue government funded technology advancements reduce the economy, since resources are being wasted on political investments, not being used on market investments.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,056 Posts
Points 78,245

I agree with Spidey. It's one of those "chick/egg" things where the most sound answer is "both".

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
768 Posts
Points 12,035

Values drive goals, goals drive necessities and wants, and necessities and wants drive innovation (and thus invention). :-P

*edit* But that in itself doesn't entail economic growth. I doubt all the latest gadgets for wanking off will send anyone to the Moon or make permanent wealth that will grow the economy as a whole (or subsection of wanking off gadgets industry).

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Spideynw:

The right technology drives economic growth, but economic growth drives technology.  They go hand in hand.  Technology is really just efficiency.

I would argue government funded technology advancements reduce the economy, since resources are being wasted on political investments, not being used on market investments.

Technology comes before, but is useless without the required capital. Robinson Crusoe may well have an idea as to how he can use a stick to gather more berries but without that stick he can't use the technology.

Bob Dylan

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,056 Posts
Points 78,245

Technology IS capital. The stick IS technology (albiet primitive). So this is a chicken/egg thing that works in both directions.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Brainpolice:
Technology IS capital.

No, it's not.

Bob Dylan

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,056 Posts
Points 78,245

GilesStratton:

Brainpolice:
Technology IS capital.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 560

Brainpolice:

GilesStratton:

Brainpolice:
Technology IS capital.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

Technology, ideas, recipes, are not capital goods, because they are not goods, nor are they capital because capital refers either to capital goods, or the monetary value of capital goods, or money slated for investment (money capital). 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Brainpolice:

GilesStratton:

Brainpolice:
Technology IS capital.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

Sorry, but no, it isn't. Technological ideas are not scarce for one thing.

Bob Dylan

Top 500 Contributor
Male
354 Posts
Points 5,530
jimmy replied on Tue, Feb 3 2009 4:22 PM

dsimo04:
Technology, ideas, recipes, are not capital goods, because they are not goods

According to Menger's definition of a good they are... Why do people buy recipe books? It's not the book they're interested in - it's the ideas. The idea (a recipe in this case) is capable of satisfying a human need, when used in combination with other higher order goods (such as human labor, flour, milk and eggs). So ideas (technology) according to Menger would be higher order goods.

Perhaps this is a bit of  a tricky question though since ideas actually form part of Menger's description of a good in the first place (i.e. the knowledge of the causal connections that enable something to be transformed such that it might satisfy a human need). None the less, I'm still holding to the above paragraph, which is that technology is a good.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
354 Posts
Points 5,530
jimmy replied on Tue, Feb 3 2009 4:24 PM

GilesStratton:
Sorry, but no, it isn't. Technological ideas are not scarce for one thing.

That only says that technology is not  an economic good - it doesn't say that it's not a good (this being the difference between economic goods and other goods).

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095

GilesStratton:
Technology comes before, but is useless without the required capital. Robinson Crusoe may well have an idea as to how he can use a stick to gather more berries but without that stick he can't use the technology

But, Robinson Crusoe figured out how to use the stick to gather more berries because he had enough money to have the leisure time to figure it out.

Technological advancements require funding.  The more funding you have, the more technological advancements you have.  It is a chicken/egg thing.

Are you saying poor countries can advance technologically just as fast as wealthy countries?  If so, reality refutes it.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Page 1 of 8 (113 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS