Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

This Land Is Your Land

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 8,730
pairunoyd Posted: Tue, Feb 5 2008 6:20 PM

We hear about the ailing economy and the housing bubble's burst. Give to the citizenry large amounts of highly valued assets - land!

The federal government currently owns about 30% of the United States' land mass (staying away from the 'eminent domain' question) . I haven't looked at the total State, County and City holdings, but I'm sure they're obscenely high as well.

No bidding it out. Just take maybe 1/3 of the current government-owned land, parcel it out according to market value e.g., $20,000 parcels (possibly have a max/min acreage) and...Voila!

We need ideas to counter this tax-based approach, this 'meth-ing' approach, i.e., stimulus, and we need to look at intrinsic, market-based values. Everyone thinks no valuables exist unless it comes from Washington.

Isn't it time to take a little something from Wasington instead of Washington taking a big something from us?

"The best way to bail out the economy is with liberty, not with federal reserve notes." - pairunoyd

"The vision of the Austrian must be greater than the blindness of the sheeple." - pairunoyd

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735

pairunoyd:
We hear about the ailing economy and the housing bubble's burst. Give to the citizenry large amounts of highly valued assets - land!

Good idea, but that would have nothing to do with the bubble.

The tax refund is soon to be failed keynesian nonsense. Its the helicopter effect realized.

Peace

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS